Sunday 24 April 2016

Burton Albion 0-0 BFC, Saturday 16th April 2016


‘Wake me up before you go go’

Welcome to ....

I’ve gotta be honest, I don’t think I’m in the best position to be match reporting Satdy’s efforts (am I ever?)  I can barely remember owt that happened in the game and that wasn’t just cos barely owt happened in the game.  I could probably blame the early (for me) drinking start, but while everyone else was on real ale, I really should have looked at the alcohol content of that cider stuff, cos I was hammered.  I vaguely remember Dave Selwood was in the away end with us…but I can’t remember if he brought Maria.  That’s was my state.  As for the match, I believe we had a shot (Winnall running close from a corner) and that was about it.  I know when the ref blew for full time I was wondering where the time had gone.  After all, you’re not allowed to blow till there’d been some action, surely?


That pitch saw the Super Reds c.100 years ago

It all started so well/badly.  With the hostelries not opening till midday, (save for Wetherspoons), one advantage of having the BFC official historian in tow was a walk around Burton to the local rugby club to stare at a pitch which once hosted the Super Reds sometime a hundred years ago.  It was quite the pleasure too, with a stand which must be as old as ours, with clubhouse attached.  We even helped open it, carrying in supplies; the price to pay for Dave collaring a local.  (Un)fortunately we had other tykes to meet and retreated before we got suckered into watching the local eggchasers.


They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Then we descended on the Coopers Tavern.  Since there were a dozen of us waiting at 12 to get in, why doesn’t this place open earlier?  What about next season, when (if?) Burton are promoted?  Anyway, barrels of ale behind the bar and Carling lager on tap.  Make mine a cider.  And another one.  And another one, etc.  Call me a taxi.  ‘You’re a taxi’.  Got to ground, stood at the back of the terrace and chanted my heart off while nothing happened on the pitch.  It was great.  Never once did we look under threat, and barely once did we threaten.  0-0 written all over.  Still, problies a point won rather than 2 lost, as Millwa’ and Gills lost.  I reckon 10 points from our last 4 games and we’ll sneak into the play-offs.


The teams come out.

Now, I’m doing this from a very blurred memory, but I certainly remember saying I was impressed with Williams (again).  The others I’m gonna have to guess.  I s’pose a clean sheet counts for summat to the defence:


*** G Williams.  This week I shall mostly be our best play at LEFT back.

** Scowen.   Filled in at right back.  Shouldn’t grumble.

* Roberts.   Just because.

Londontykes' MOTM:
*** Roberts
** G Wiliams
* Scowen

Despatches:  None.  Did I tell you my memory’s shot?

Drink du jour: Cider, a cheeky Erdinger (on tap) in a pub on the way back to the town centre and whatever Lidl sold us.  Then Andy made me go to the Euston Tap (if you come into Euston, you have to…don’t you?) where we were accosted by a couple of ManUre fans for an hour or 2.  They seemed ok chaps, considering we obviously had no respect for their team.  Then I fell asleep on a bus and ended up in West Norwood (where?) 

Away: 1500.  Good atmosphere, standing on a terrace.  What’s not to like?  Hopefully we’ll be playing them again next year.  What division though?
Davies sets himself
Panorama from the corner
Main Stand (Reds to the left).

Match action (such as there was).
Pirelli panorama
Can there be a finer sight than the post-match perfectly poured Erdinger?
Main Stand after the match
after match panorama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...