Sunday 8 December 2019

Dulwich Hamlet 1-1 Dartford, Saturday 7th December 2019

Dulwich Hamlet 1-1 Dartford, National League South, att. 2,365

Welcome to ...

Last week, my team Barnsley won its first match in 18, so I vaguely contemplated going to see them at Cardiff City today, but three reasons meant I forewent the opportunity.  Firstly, the cost.  I looked the other week and train prices were outrageous.  So I looked at the Megabus.  I could get there and back for around 12 quid.  Match tickets were only 17.  But (deep breath)…let’s be sensible.  7+ hours on a bus, on my day off…no thanks.  Thirdly, my local team Dulwich Hamlet were at home.

Welcome to ....(II)

Some of my other mates were off to Clapton CFC again, so at the risk of being called a ‘splitter’ (I was) I decided to spend some quality time in my neighbourhood, visiting the craft fayre ‘Pexmas’ (Peckham/Christmas…get it?) and another market, with my partner, pre-match.  Then I was off to Champion Hill for the first time this season, for a potential six pointer with Dartford.

Getting there early, I had a couple of pints in the clubhouse.  Erdinger on tap!  Where else can I find a weisse bier pre-match at an English ground?  Plus they had the football on telly, Chelsea losing on one (hurrah), Dirty Leeds winning on the other (boooooo).  Who will rid me of these turbulent ne’er do wells?

Is there a better clubhouse range of beers?

After a browse around the club shop / container, I settled on a position at the far end.  But before I could find a decent viewpoint, I found a whippet to stroke and before you knew it I was chatting on with a couple of season ticketholders.  One had come into some money and had invested in a 10 year season ticket.  Given he’d been around before they were popular, he said he’d enjoyed seeing the recent renaissance, as The Hamlet have become ensconced in the community.  This is what nearly losing your stadium does for you.  (See also: Charlton, Brighton, Rotherham et al).

Hamlet's #1 fan.

Second half, I was stood with a player’s dad.  I shan’t give clues, for said dad was advocating for the manager to be sacked.  Anyway, he asked me what Dartford’s penalty was given for.  ‘Well….I think he just fell over.  Or he may have slipped.  But I don’t think there was any contact.’  The two Dartford fans next to me agreed.  We were side on, and it certainly didn’t look a penalty from our angle.  But we couldn’t deny Dartford deserved it, having moments earlier hit both posts in a scramble and been close on several other occasions.  The penalty was easily despatched.

A penalty being easily despatched.

Earlier, things were looking rosy for Hamlet, despite being winless in 12 in the league.  So much for their FA Cup run.  They dominated the first half, missing chances, and went ahead at the beginning of the second.  I’d describe it if I’d see it, but I was coming out of the toilet at the time, having washed my hands after accidentally pouring half a pint over myself.  I’m still irked, actually.  I’d just had that coat washed.  Hopeless.


My view, first half.

So there it was, a draw.  Hamlet, still in the relegation mire, though, due to an excellent start, not yet in the drop zone itself.  But one thing’s for sure, if they don’t perk up, they’ll be going down.  Perhaps a new manager could liven things up a bit?  Hamlet remain the best supported team in the division and no doubt have one of the biggest budgets.  Is time running out for manager and club legend Gavin Rose?


A packed Main Stand.


The Damage:
£12 ent
£5 beer (Erdinger, x3)
£2 prog
£2.50 chips
£15 t-shirt
= £46.50

The Tunes:
Mixmag Feb 2017, The Black Madonna (Various)
Japanese Whispers (The Cure)

In goal at the Hamlet.

Farouk Menia, former coach, R.I.P.

The teams line up.

Autumn in East Dulwich.

A Dartford corner, 2nd half.

The view from behind the net.

Looking towards the the Champion Hill end.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...