Monday 12 November 2012

Barnsley 0-1 Huddersfield Town, Saturday 10th November 2012

What shower of s***.  Huddersfield score then timewaste their way to victory.  'At least the ref added 5 mins at the end' said one woman to her bloke outside Oakwell.  'It could've been 2 hours' he replied.  Yes, we lost in what must have been one of the worst games any neutral could watch since Stoke City last came to town.  From a Reds perspective, it was simply awful.  Poor passing, poor movement, no creativity and zero cutting edge.  I have had it up to HERE (that's me raising my hand very high in the air) with Jacob Mellis.  He strolls around making FA difference in our midfield and is rewarded with 90 minutes every week.  In the meantime, Dawson is busting a gut up and down the pitch and looks like the only threat we have.  So he gets taken off.

The last 15 mins was just embarrassing.  Huddersfield played keep ball and when we won it back we simply hoofed it downfield back to them.  So much for our passing game.  We were exciting for about 2 minutes after Mido and Jim O'Brien came on, but then we reverted back to type.  Oh, and as for Etuhu, he's like a poor man's Odejayi.  Or Francke Nouble.  Woeful.  The amount of times the ball was played to his feet, either to cannon off him, or the defender simply step out past him to take the ball was....well, it breaks my heart to see 'professional' footballers be this bad.  Even on a 'free' he looks overpriced.

Certainly there were alot of varying opinions in the pub afterwards.  Selwood felt Mellis had a good game and no-one could understand my choice of MOTM.  As for the goal, who are we blaming this week?  Stones, for being too far up the pitch when we lost it?  Foster for not cutting out the cross?  Or Steele for allowing Beckford to nip in and head home.  The concensus was Foster, who coulda...shoulda...just lumped the bloke in to the stand.

*** Wiseman.  The rock in central defence.  Won everything and his pace cut out trouble plenty of times.  Certainly, he has to cover for Foster who looks slower by the week.  And even when Wiseman made mistakes (for he made a few) he recovered.

** Steele.  Made 3 or 4 decent saves, including a one-on-one that looked a certain goal.  Welcome back, Steele.  3 matches, 3 (depending on your opinion) MOTM performances, 3 defeats.

* Dawson.  As I said.

Sponsors MOTM:  Stee-el, Stee-el

Despatches:  Crainie was outstanding 1st half, defensive midfield.  O'Brien looked exciting when he came on (he must be a shoe-in to get his place back) and even Noble-Lazarus appeared keen.  Mido came on was like a raging bull, getting booked for running 25 yards to take one of their men out.  But as Selwood said - he came on and spurred the crowd a bit.

The journey back?
Well, the missus has been told it was Selwood's fault for daring me, but it really isn't clever to be necking bourbon neat (or on the rocks).  I dispensed with the coke, since the honey flavoured drink du jour tasted nice enough and Selwood dared me to drink the rest of the bottle (while the others had the traditional Jim Beam).  I have no idea if I succeeded, but I tried.  Well, I problies shouldn't have to tell you, but once again I fell asleep on the bus home, Sarah phoned me and woke me up and I had no idea where I was.  I don't know how I got home, but at 3am I went to bed.  And after sensibly putting the blanket over the duvet cover, I climbed in fully clothed.  I have no remembrance of this.  I don't think Sarah was impressed.

Oh, and I almost forgot the highlight of my day -  seeing an 82 year old being tripped over by a blind man!  It happened as we got off the train at Wakey and you shoulda seen Gerry.  He was ready to give this bloke a right mouthful, till we pointed out his white stick.  GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

And yes, my dad was nearly right with his prediction this week:  if we keep a clean sheet we might get a point.  'Barnsley nil' is starting to grate on me, however much I'm getting used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...