Sunday 6 October 2013

QPR 2-0 Barnsley, Saturday 5th October 2013

 Rangers'  stadium - the 1st sighting
'You euthanasia ba5tard'

Another part of me died yesterday.  Having vowed not to attend if it's 30 quid or more...I found myself attending, paying 30 quid or more.  And not one to do things by halves, I drank in an O'Neills.  Twice.  So losing was probably only the 3rd most depressing experience of my day.

As it was, how could I NOT go?  Meeting up with the crew, including Salisbury and Phil who'd travelled up from Hampshire, it would've been rude of me to put my principles above their joy at my company.  So, a couple of £4.40 Stellas and a massaman curry  (£7.50 - bargain!) later, we left the Churchill Arms in Notting Hill Gate to grab a pint in Shepherd's Bush and 'savour the atmosphere'.  O'Neills it was, then.  Time for a pint and a leisurely walk to the stadium.  So Gerry orders a burger and chips at 2:20pm and (to cut a story short) we crawl to the ground late.  So I'm getting 80 mins for my 30 quid. (Mind, I half hoped we'd be losing by then so I could still turn around and spend my money in the pub).


Decent turnout too.  With the £25 'silver' tickets sold, that was 360 fans straight away.  Plus us odds and sods meant around 500+.  Not bad if, like Andy, you were celebrating your 14th attempt at winning at QPR (sum total: one draw).
Midfield mediocrity
2 things happened in the 1st half.  Butland made an unbelievable save from a close range effort ('He's England's number 1') and we had a penalty shout turned down.  Altho at the far end, it looked a penalty to me.  The ball was pinging around inside their box and we laid the ball back for a player to strike it, only it hit the hand of their player and diverted away.  Technically the denial of a goalscoring opportunity, our 1st and last as it was.

2nd half, the game continued as it had been.  QPR showed little in attacking flair, forcing Salisbury to denounce how poor they were, while our midfield could barely put a touch together, let alone support O'Grady and Scotland in attack.  But if you'd seen QPR's goals column this season, you'll see they've made a habit of nicking low scoring wins.  They simply bore the opposition into submission.  And in Charlie Austin they have a player who only needs one chance. We gave him two.

THIS is what a 30 quid ticket looks like!

1-0 came from a corner.  I actually missed it, as did our defence.  As the corner was given, I thought I'd calmly sit down and watch the proceedings at the far end.  I think our defence did the same.  Unfortunately, QPR took a quick one, a well worked effort that ended with Austin firing home from the edge of the box (I'm told).  Apparently Flitcroft had warned our players about Austin's attacking threat.  Genius.

Now, I can handle losing at QPR.  It's what we do.  But what made me angry was that QPR had never looked like scoring, had never threatened our goal (aside from that early effort) and we weren't under constant pressure.  QPR had bided their time and took their one opportunity. 


Later, as their player headed towards the corner flag, he fell over under little pressure and the ref couldn't wait to award a penalty.  Game over.


So there it was.  As routine and perfunctory a victory as ever there was, with QPR breaking their record for consecutive clean sheets (could they have had it any easier?)

*** Crainie.  Solid, solid as a rock.  Then gave a penalty away, somehow.
** Butland.  Didn't have alot to do, but what he did, he did.
* Kennedy.  Why not?  That's how average the rest of them were.

(Actually, my real top 3 would be...
*** drinking till late with Andy and Selwood in Shepherd's Bush.
** THAT massaman
* Andy mocking the queue outside Walkabout, which was closing down.  'Why are you queueing?  It's rubbish!'   '.......YOU'RE rubbish!'  I've never seen an Aussie lost for words.)

Misc:
Has our season started, at last?  Sir Bobby of Hassell makes his 1st appearance of the season.  Flitcroft has tried everyone else and has to turn to our own caped crusader when Ramage has to leave the field to general indifference.  Sadly, Superman wasn't able to rouse us to victory, yet.  But he did get the fans going.

Gerry brought me a few Chronicles and I read an early season interview with O'Brien.  Apparently we shouldn't worry that we've changed our pressing game, despite 'having 3 of the best pressers of a ball in Dawson, Perkins and Etuhu'.  Which I found odd.  I was quite enjoying a high tempo pressing game last season which usually ended in victory rather than defeat.  Instead, what I get is death by a 1000 cuts that is watching Mellis, McCourt, Fox, etc etc.  Just give me a bit of pace and effort!

Do I even need to say Mellis STROLLED through another match?  I feel I do - otherwise you'd be disappointed at my lack of predictability.  The quickest he moved all day was when he was subbed.  (How many times have I written THAT in a report!?).  And the 'Derry Pele'.  My God.  He's like an unfit O'Brien.  Didn't take a player on until injury time and was probably only still on the park cos we'd made our 3 subs.  Liked to hog the touchline, which would've been great had he been given the ball.  Instead it took another player out of our midfield and as I said, one of the others was Mellis.  Christ on a bike.  Cwyka looked good when he came on, mind.

Equally, thank god Flitcroft is attempting to do something about our appalling defensive record.  We now have an England goalkeeper, and a centre half and defensive midfield player from Premiership clubs.  Has it stopped the goals going in?  Not really.  Perhaps it's the new STYLE of football (style??) we're playing, as well as the characters attempting to play it, who're at fault.  F*** me, I'd rather go down fighting playing the likes of Hassell, Dagnall, Dawson, O'Brien, Perkins,O'Grady etc etc etc

Angry of Peckham.

Oh, and yes I did fall asleep on the bus home.  Even when it's a London game I can't manage the simplistics of life.  'New Cross' is the answer to your question this time.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...