Sunday 3 August 2014

St. Pauli 1-1 Ingolstadt, Saturday 2nd August 2014 (Bundesliga 2)

This is who we are!

I believe it was Oscar Wilde who once said 'To miss kick off once is misfortune, to do it twice looks like carelessness'.  I think he'd been to see Accrington Stanley that day.  I've f***ed up again.  I'm on a train an hour out of Hamburg, having fallen asleep and missed my stop.  Ironically, 
I'm currently listening to an album called 360°, cos that's what I'm gonna have to do. Tho' technically I s'pose, it's more like 180 degrees.  God, I'm confused.


The new Gegengerade

After yesterday's debacle at RW, getting there at HT, I face similar if not worse today. My train from Dortmund was half an hour late and I've messed everything up completely by sleeping through the Hamburg stop. Being a long distance inter-city, it's not due to stop again till Schwerin. It arrives 14:08 and if the regional train remains 13 mins late, I'll be able to get back to Hamburg for 15:36  plus 13 minutes. Kick off is 15:30.  F*** f*** f***.



The South Stand
(Later)
What a day I've had, in one word, 'mixed'. I made it to the game - well the last 35 minutes. Got to Millerntor at HT then spoke to a lady outside Fanladen / security / security outside club shop / head of security (to a level!)  It was mad. Phone calls made (no answer - they were at a MATCH!) texts sent ... Fanladen closed (there's a game on!) Do people realise I'm not there yet?


On the Gegengerade

Just kidding. The last security guy grabbed a be-dreadlocked fan (X) outside and said fan tried this, that and everything to get me in. Fortunately a) there were blocks against letting anyone in and b) he appeared high up in the Fanladen and had the ways - and most importantly the means - to get me in, tho' it took time and involved one Securitate turning us away, despite me wearing some access all areas badge cos apparently I was already in the ground! No point arguing when you're in the wrong ... so a couple of unlocked doors here and there and I'm handed someone else's season ticket (but I must give it back as soon as I'm in). Anyway, there were two people who were helping me, so presuming they don't want me to name names, I'll say this:


i) I went back to the Fanladen after the game and they'd sold my ticket cos I'd not turned up (fair enough)
ii) I found X in his office after the game and offered him ten euros to have a couple of drinks on me ... But he declared he couldn't do that but he'd put the money towards the youth team. How very St. Pauli and I can only say thanks to everyone involved. I just hope my name isn't tarnished as a no-turner-upper!

Designed to hook into your pocket...

After the match as I went to pay for my match ticket (no need) and found Y (need), I got to the Hbf in plenty of time to get my stuff from my locker ... But here's the thing, it turns out there are LOTS of lockers in Hamburg Hbf, in lots of different places.  'A lot of people in a lot of high places'; I suddenly had an urge for Spaceman 3. Indeed, maybe I should play 'Rollercoaster'.  This must make no sense to anyone normal. 

I caught the train out of Hamburg with seconds to spare.

Beer snake after the match

I got in to the game 55 minutes down and 0-1 (I knew the latest score, at some point in the rigmarole I saw it in the club shop). I was thirsty and before long I was off for a beer. Honestly, I needed it. 5.5 euros (including deposit) I was at the top of the terrace , towards the halfway line. Made a change from behind the goal.  It wasn't as noisy as I'd been used to, tho the jingling of keys at corners persisted.


Maybe it was the football - St. Pauli never looked like scoring.  Ingolstadt missed 2 great opportunities, both saved by the keeper, one-on-one. Then from nothing the St. Pauli forwards fashioned a chance, and, in slow motion, the ball came off the boot of Gonther and into the top corner. He looked as surprised as us. Cue beer in the air, beer over my leg.

Imagine the whole terrace like this...

It finished one-all, and which I shouldn't grumble at given St. Pauli's get out of jail free card, but the last 2 home games I'd seen late winners so I expected better!


Later I nearly missed my connection to Nürnberg cos of the locker situation and I was so 'pumped' I needed a beer...leading me to drinking in the refreshment carriage with 3 other St. Pauli fans from Wolfsburg and near Kassel.  One of them, a lawyer, was bemused to learn that 'glass' could be used as a verb in English.  (I'd been amazed we'd been given glass glasses.)  It took a couple of seconds on me.  WTF is a 'verb'?  Then it struck me. 'To glass'? THIS is England's gift to the world! The verb 'to glass'. Some things just make me proud.
After match thanks
The Damage:
€10 ent
€3.50 beer
€15 t-shirt

The tunes:
360° (Dreadzone)
Losing Touch With My Mind (Spacemen 3)
Sound of Confusion (Spacemen 3)
Rubycon (Tangerine Dream)


Club shop warning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...