Saturday 8 November 2014

Dulwich Hamlet 3 - 0 Chalfont St Peter, Saturday 1st November 2014

This was a bit different.  Where else could I set off from home at 2:20 for a 3pm kick-off?  (ok, aside from Millwall)  It was time to cycle to my local(est) non-league side, Dulwich Hamlet, for a FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round game.  Having lived within the proximity of Dulwich for nigh on 5 years, it’s problies a bit of a disgrace that I’d yet to visit Champion Hill (the ground) even when I lived off Champion Hill (the area).  Next door Sainsbury used to be my local supermarket and proved the ideal spot to park my bike today.

Welcome to the Pleasuredome!

By 10 to 3, I was in.  Only a couple of turnstiles open, which was more than enough.  £10.  Makes a change.  Greeted upon the inside by smiling people.  Makes a change.  Programme bought, £2.  Mainly ads, but at least I was able to work out that Chalfont were from Bucks, Beds or Middlesex, given some previous league they’d been in.  I’d never heard of this place before, but they’d beaten Hamlet 3 times in 5 previous games.  Who knew?

And...STRETCH!

Come on you pink and blues!



Even more gloriously, they have an open-to-all clubhouse with a fine view of the pitch.  Normally, one can apparently buy a beer and wander out onto the terrace, though FA rules forbid that today.  (I’ve no idea what these rules are, just that the tannoy announcer told me.)  One could still stay IN and have a beer though.  A bit like having your own executive box.  We elected for a place in their swanky new stand, shifting some old bloke on crutches to do so.  The other 3 sides had a narrow terrace, with a small covered stand opposite.  The Dulwich Ultras (‘Dultras’!) took their place behind the goal Hamlet kicked towards, their pink and blue coloured scarves in preponderance.  I’m having one of them, I thought.

The clubhouse view

For some reason this reminds me of Gus Poyet.

I have to admit, I was quietly impressed with the whole occasion.  Decent crowd, actual chanting from the Dultras (30 or so) and 2 teams trying to play the ball on the floor.  Hamlet obviously had the edge, being just that little bit too quick for the opposition.  The right winger in particular could pretty much do what he liked, while the centre forward was bigger and quicker than his opponent.  Only a lack of understanding at times prevented a hammering.  In the end, it was 3-0.  A tap-in from yet another right wing cross, a first time hit from an onrushing forward and a 3
rd which….I can’t remember, but it was in the 2nd half.  Shoulda been 4-0 too, if the centre forward had the brains not to stand forward of the guy who laid it on a plate for him.  Disallowed for offside.
Late scramble in front of the Dultras

Afterwards, having seen Sky Sports in the clubhouse, we elected to have a beer and follow the results.  However, I/we get a bit growly when we don’t get served quick enough.  I don’t mind the 1
st guy buying 10 pints (which he did), but I do mind bar men who ask ‘who’s next?’ when they should know exactly who’s next.  Thus, ignored for a later fella, and the other 3 bar lads at the other end, we left.  Still handy, for we were able to beer it at the Brick Brewery (Peckham), where we had a lager (‘if you must’), followed by strawberry daiquiris at BarStory.  Not my normal after match drink and it certainly made a change from being on a train for god knows how many hours.  And we were home for ‘Strictly’ – hurrah from one of us, leastways!
sunset over Dulwich

Attendance: 433
Away: maybe 2, judging by the ‘noise’.  

Damage:
£10 entrance
£2 programme
£1 poppy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...