Thursday 19 March 2015

Leyton Orient 0-0 Barnsley, Tuesday 17th March 2015

‘My Big Fat Gypsy St. Patrick’s Night’


Courtesy of my photographer...

Good God, I am STILL trying to get over what I saw t'other night – and I’m not referring to the match. Picture the scene: back street east end boozer, much of a muchness, a decent smattering of customers, virtually all male and of a certain age, when about 8 young ladies turn up in outfits the good burghers of Newcastle would class as ‘immodest’. If I said it was ALL out on display, it was ALL out on display. I would not lie if I said some of their skirts were 6 inches short. You can imagine how much THAT covers. And then another of the gang came in and her melons were the size of...MELONS.  I don't know how that top kept 'em in.  Still, took everyone’s minds off the football. Though it was disappointing not to see any of Tim, Slacki or Loko have a crack at one of them. (As Loko said later, he 'wasn’t taking his life into his hands').  Did someone say it was like a scene FROM Snatch or OF snatch?  I don't remember The Birkbeck ever being like this when it was my local.        


A heady mix of fog and lower division floodlights.
   
The match (there was a match?) was made even more bizarre for me later on.  If I'd gone from my old local pre-match, I was now drinking in my old HOME, Leyton Town Hall, now 'The Technical'.  (I presume the council's Technical Dept used to be based in the rooms the pub now used.)  Just a shame they hadn't made the council chambers upstairs into a poolroom, as we did, nor have illicit parties in the old ballroom (which really is a thing of beauty).



Consider yourself warned.

The match?  Well, being on Gerrywatch, I sat right at the front, ie, where I least like to watch a game from.  I hope it looked better from upstairs, cos from where I was sat we created FA and had Davies to thank for pulling off 2 blinding one-on-ones (again).  Apparently, he saved his best for when I hadn't yet returned at half time.  So make that 3 blinding saves.  Mark my words, this was a point won, not two lost.

Despite not alot happening, the ref still managed to send off one of our midfielders for missing a tackle.  Being how slow motion it all was, we were amazed when said midfielder was red-carded.  For a split second we all hoped it was Hourihane, but, naturally, you have to make a tackle to miss one, so it wasn't him.  That's Lalkovic out for 3 games then.  Funny, once the the red card came out, the Orient player stopped rolling around and promptly got up and walked away like nothing had happened.  Tw*t.  Still, a welcome return of 'You're just a soft southern ba5tard', which, quite frankly, you don't hear often enough these days.



Home end and (the other) Main Stand.

*** Davies
** No-one.  No idea who played well from where I was sat.
* Though I know it wasn't Waring!


Londontykes top 3:
1. Davies
2. Scowen
3. No-one / Pearson

Drink du jour: It was St. Paddy's Night and Guinness was £3 a pop.  So make mine a San Miguel.  (Later, The Technical had Krusovice which is rather an excellent pint of lager; another reason to go there.)  I don't know what happened at the Birkbeck, but they obviously missed a trick...Paddy's Night AND a match yet they only had one barman on.  And believe me, he worked harder than anything on the football pitch that night.

Away: 577. Bl**dy gloryhunters!


The Technical Pub, Leyton.  I lived here once.

No camera can do justice to this gentleman's hair colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...