Sunday 18 October 2015

Southend United 2-1 BFC, Saturday 17th October 2015

‘Don’t come home too drunk’
‘Why?’
‘Cos you’re annoying’
Cracking pub and world's best pub sign

I enjoyed yesterday.  I mean, why let the football ruin a perfectly good day on the beer, at the seaside?  (Note: we never actually saw the seaside.)  Mr Reed did us proud, finding a most excellent boozer near the station.  The Railway?  A variety of real ales, plus Leffe on tap.  Even their ‘cooking lager’ was San Miguel.  Plus a barman who looked like he could be Paul Weller’s dad who played vinyl LPs from a pulpit while we basked on worn leather sofas.  And I’ve never had an apple and rhubarb calzone (with ice cream) as my pre-match meal before…

Oh, and good news for Andy Reed – Davies is in for Townsend in goal, so he doesn’t have to carry out his threat to boycott the match.
Welcome to Roots Hall

Then it was a 20 minute walk to the ground, past your average high street and several deserted office blocks.  England is a sad sight (site) these days.  And good job Phil made us buy our tickets in advance cos the ground looked fairly full – well, 2 sides.  There’s a lot to be said for having a small ground.  And despite the poor view, lowish, behind the goal, I love these grounds.  The low roof and small end made for a decent atmosphere till the fans, like the team, gave up.

Away fans settle down for some top notch action.

We went ahead with a penalty, Marley Watkins running at full pelt, being taken out by the keeper.  Andy and I discussed the merits of it being a sending off.  For me, he’d gone too wide and was never going to catch the ball, so the yellow looked fair enough to me.  Loko’s Sarfend mate reckons it was outside the area too, but I’ve not seen a replay.  What looked more of a red (and the more I think about it, the more I think it was) was when their fella lost his rag having not been given a decision, ran at Mawson and just went through him.  There was every intention to hurt him and the ball was the wrong side of the man.  Still, the injury allowed me time to have a p***, so that was no bad thing.

A recurring lower league problem?  Or Health and Safety gone mad?

Of course, we’d already conceded an equaliser before the injury.  The ball seemed to bounce around our box before their fella buried it low to Davies’ left.  Unerring.  Then, as I returned from the toilet, I was just in time to see a ball come in, Davies get a hand to it…and it land straight to their bloke on the backpost.  I think I heard a few Reds’ fans say his name too…though how they knew his name was ‘Prosser’ I’m unsure.  Anyway, I thought Davies should have done better, while Andy thought he did well to save it in the 1st place.

I see what they did there.

2nd half, Sarfend sat back and watched us keep possession to no great reward.  Either we took too long getting into attack, or Crowley would get it and just go round and round in circles.  I thought the Arsenal way was to give and go, let the ball do the work, but this bloke just hangs on and on to the ball, till Sarfend get all men back.  I can’t remember us even coming close, tho Davies kept the score down with a couple of good saves at the other end.

Scowen slots home the pen

In fact, aside from the failure to send their man off, the turning point was problies when, at 1-0 up, Scowen put a free kick in, it was flicked on, and the keeper made a point blank save from another Red (Watkins?)  We might have had half a chance at 2-0, and things were looking very comfortable at that stage.  Yet by half time we’d lost the game.

*** No-one.  They weren’t all particularly s***, just no-one deserved a MOTM. 

** Smith (George).  Thought he looked alright, as usual.

* I dunno….Mawson.  Looked composed for the most part.

Londontykes' Top 3:
1. Pearson

2. G. Smith
3. Mawson

World's fattest physio (and his sponsor)
Despatches:
I’ve had to allow myself a little chuckle, at the news Swindon have ‘parted company’ (ie, sacked) their manager Mark Cooper, who turned us down before we got Lee Johnson.  I have to say ‘a little’ chuckle, cos we’re still the ones with Lee Johnson.  Many of the players look like they’re trying their best (the defence, for instance) but something’s not right.  And then the Little One doesn’t even START our best attacking player (Harris) though I can forgive him not playing ‘fans favourite’ Winnall, cos when he came on he did his usual not much.  Harris meantime was permanently doubled up on – which means SOMEONE in a red shirt must be spare.  But what of Smith of Swindon?  He’s terrible, like a less talented George Waring.  Simeon Jackson was sent on for the last 25, but after initially looking keen, he disappeared.

We now have 4 wins and 6 losses against 3rd division opposition.  Is it the players?  Is it the tactics?  Is it the manager?

No.

Drink du jour: We had to leave straightaway, which was a shame for 3 of us, who fancied more beer in that pre-match pub.  But Dave was on a (honeymoon) promise and our tickets demanded we all travelled together.  Still time tho for 3 Paulaners in some German bierkeller in Liverpool St (and Loko’s Sarfend mate joining us) before that tw*tish game rugby came on and they cranked up the volume.  Who knew Germans loved their rugby, so?  Me and Andy made our excuses, found another boozer, before walking arm in arm across the Thames (probably) and one for the road in the Barrowboy and Banker.  I returned home drunk and annoying (I’m told). 

Away: 487
 
The Damage:
22 ent
3 prog
8.3 travel
= £33.30

Half time entertainment, Essex-style
I can't help thinking these steps ADD to, rather than solve, the problem.
Cute.
A busy Main Stand.
Match action.
I remember when that end was terracing (and we were winning 3-0).
Late corner for the Super Reds.
An empty away end.
Entry to the Theatre of Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...