Monday 15 February 2016

CD Leganes 2-0 Osasuna, Sunday 14th February 2016

CD Leganes 2-0 Osasuna, att: 4,873

Welcome to ....

Having missed out on Real-Athletic a day earlier (couldn't get 2 tickets together, but arrived a little late anyway) I decided to sample life in the burbs at second division CD Leganes.  Only about 15 mins by rail from Atocha (stop: Zarzaquemada).  And once there, you can see 
El Estadio Municipal de Butarque high up on a hill, in the direction the train was travelling in.  It really is a fortress, with a huge concrete wall surrounding it.  There's no getting in - or out - when the gates are shut.  Mind, it's deceptively close.  It'll take a good 20 mins walk to get there, including climbing of said hill.

Club crest-embossed barrier.  Which clubs can say they have these?

The stadium itself is a wide open bowl, with one covered stand down one touchline.  And considering it's on top of a hill, why was I surprised it was so windy? I am not kidding, it was the COLDEST I've been at a game all season, as the whipped whipped me from behind.  It was f***ing freezing.  Come to Madrid and get rail, hail, snow and wind all on the same afternoon.  Mainly wind though, a biting chill which I'm sure I can feel even as I write this.


The Main Event

I was glad my better half had elected not to come, cos there's no way she'd have stayed.  Still, if you're wise..and you know the stadium...you could hole yourself up in the small social club inside the ground and have a warming cup of coffee.  That was my half time anyway.  And he didn't charge me for it, however long I waited to pay him.


Otherwise, there's nought to do at the ground.  There's a small club shop underneath the covered stand and the odd refreshment kiosk on the concourse (not selling very much) so I'd advise getting there as close to the kick off as possible, rather than having an hour to dwell on how cold it is.

The wind, the wind.

With tickets at a very reasonable €10 behind the goal and €15 on the touchline, I chose the latter.  I fancied a decent view.  In reality, it was even better, cos I stood up for the entire match.  I wasn't going to sit down and freeze.  Thanks to the curve, behind each goal you were furthest from the action, though it looked fairly busy behind the home goal.  Osasuna had brought a few too, which I was impressed with.  Presumably economic migrants living in Madrid.


The Big Stand looked a bit useless though.  Gaps at the back and  high roof left the sun in peoples' eyes and the rain, snow and hail blustering in their faces.  Yes, we had the lot today.

One fan is dressed for it.

I even found myself pulling for a team wearing blue and white stripes: CD Leganes.  Challenging near the top of the league, they were still struggling to pull in 5,000 spectators.  Christ - this lot could be playing Barca et al next season.  But, despite the wind, they played some attractive stuff and were full value for their 2-0 win.  The first was a smartly taken corner which caught Osasuna unawares; a low ball swept in by the onrushing player.  THAT'S how to beat the wind.  Later on, an Osasuna failed to clear and a Leganes midfielder headed it 25 yards out wide to the winger who crossed it low for the centre forward to scuff in.  The Leganes Legions went wild.  Well, they seemed pleased anyway.  There were groups on all sides of the stadium trying to make noise and there was a drum in every stand.  Yet, with no roof (mostly) and wind, any noise drifted into the ether.


Still, a pleasureable day out.  But I was glad to head back to the centre, find a bar and warm up. Good luck to CD, I hope they win promotion.


'Mister'...the head coach.
Panorama (might get the floodlights in properly next time).
Fans try not to take off after scoring.
'One team in the Madrid suburbs, there's only...'
Cool design.
Oh no, the drummer's arrived.
Action in front of the Big Stand.
Time for the brollies.
The Osasunas.
Storm clouds over the home end.
The teams line up.
The Big Stand, pre-match.
I spy a team coach...
Unscalable.
Main entrance (incorporating the club shop if you can find it).
Full time (4 mins later).
Floodlights at full blast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...