Sunday 4 December 2016

Athletico Madrid 0-0 Espanyol, Saturday 3rd December 2016

Athletico Madrid 0-0 Espanyol (att. 39.707)

Welcome to ....

Even by my standards I made a couple of basic schoolboy errors for this week’s match. Probably buoyed by my exuberance at finally bagging tickets to a game at the legendary Vicente Calderon, I took my eye off the prize. First up, the actual flights. I’d bought the flight TO Madrid for me and my better half, and was awaiting when she wanted to return. She told me, I didn’t act on it. Thus, with days to go to the match, when asking for the flight details, I had none. Note to self: buying flights with less than five days to go is not cost efficient. Good job I’m loaded. (Joke.) But on the serious side, we are DINKYs and don’t have a car to support.

Looking towards the ultras.

Secondly, when in Madrid, if the match is on Sat evening (it was) and El Classico is live on telly in the afternoon (it was) it might be wise not to spend the whole afternoon drinking red wine in some bar watching the game. Or was the mistake going back to the hotel inbetween? Either way, we snoozed off, with the result that we didn’t get to the Athletico match till 33 minutes in.


Dressing for the occasion.

Still, I/we made it. Tis Athletico’s last season at the Vicente Calderon before they move on to their new stadium. I do hope they have the sense to keep the blue lower tier and red and white striped upper tier which matches their kit. But I can see why they want to move on; there is no space to get past anyone in your row (folk have to stand on seats) while the whole place looks a little jaded close up. And I bet they’ll have a lot more executive boxes too.

Old and decrepit; I know the feeling.

Buying tickets was easy; log onto their website and you can order tickets with their print@home facility. Not cheap, but if you’re used to Premiership prices (or away games at Wednesday and Dirty Leeds) then no great shakes. I plumped for tickets right on the front row of the upper tier. Great view, though you had a choice: look OVER the metal rail or INBETWEEN the rail and the fence. (The latter was quite handy for shielding the camera as it poured down).

Match action

The rain, together with the 8:45pm Saturday evening kick-off, must have been the main reasons for the relatively low attendance; indeed, we witnessed fans leaving at half time as the rain started falling. With the lack of roofs (most Spanish stadia have one roof at best) it can be quite miserable sat in the rain. But I didn’t care – I was at the Vicente Calderon!

I'm not lying; it RAINED.
The match was hardly a classic, a goalless draw. But we did get to see the home keeper save 2 one-on-ones, as well as a fair bit of pressure from Athletico in the 2nd half. Indeed, Marca gave both keepers maximum marks in today’s (Sunday’s) papers, the only players to do so. Griezmann’s movement looked a class above too, though he scuffed his one chance as his goal drought continued.

The rain continued to sheet down. I savoured one last look at the Vicente Calderon before I was encouraged to leave by the stewards. Within half an hour, via the metro at Piramides, we were in the centre enjoying tapas. This is the life.


The Damage:
€50 Ent (x2)
€3.50 baguette (x2)

€3 water
€8 scarf= €118 (for 2)

A message for ex-Athletico favourite Quique Flores.

Full time, but 3 ain't leaving.

Round the bend.

The main stand, courtesy of my useless camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...