Sunday 8 January 2017

Mansfield Town 3-0 Crewe Alexandra, Saturday 7th January 2017

Mansfield Town 3-0 Crewe Alexandra (att. 3,040)

Welcome to ....

Almost into the home straight now, only half a dozen grounds or so to go of the 92. An unkind FA Cup draw to a southerly based Barnsley fan offered the opportunity to go someplace new. And who doesn’t want to visit Mansfield at least once in their lifetime? Even better, I was to be joined by a couple of other Reds fans who are in the process of completing their own 92.

No Through Road

I spent the journey up from London trying not to be worried by the sight of fog over the English countryside. After all, a couple of Championship matches were hit last week and I can’t imagine the Field Mill floodlights piercing the gloom too much. Luckily, it wasn’t an issue; the match was ON.

There’s no point in giving you directions to the ground – if you arrive by train you CAN’T MISS IT. Especially if the floodlights are on. The railway track overlooks the town and there’s the ground, directly to your right. Unless you come from Worksop, in which case it’s on the left. But no-one comes from Worksop, do they?

The Ian Greaves Stand, towering over town.

I arrived early, so had a nose around town. For a football ground who previously had the claim of being ‘league ground furthest from a railway station’ (the station re-opened in 1995) I was rather surprised to find a rail viaduct cutting right through the town centre. Talk about rubbing your snout in it for years, largest town in England without a railway station (I looked that one up).


See what I mean?

I strolled to the One Call Stadium, somehow managing to turn down a dead end street which led to the back of the disused, dilapidated and condemned Bishop Street Stand. I walked around the Quarry Lane End to find another fascinating gem: the stadium claims to be the oldest professional football ground in the world. Who knew? Certainly not I, and certainly not my match buddies. All a little disingenuous when one considers Mansfield Town weren’t formed till 1897. But a little piece of history nonetheless.


'The oldest professional football ground in the world'

Tickets were purchased – the Ian Greaves Stand, lower tier. I’d been looking forward to going upstairs an’ all. Mansfield have 2 small, modern stands at either end, holding the best part of 2,000 each, while the Ian Greaves towers over them. I’d also considered that when (if?) the match got a bit dull, I could stare over the rest of Mansfield from my lofty perch. No such luck; my mate is not the healthiest and wanted to avoid stairs. I shouldn’t grumble.
Pre-match meet 'n' greet

After a look in the club shop (small and perfectly formed, rather than the rough and ready with pots of old programmes that I’d hoped for) we headed for the social club in the main stand. And what a place! Positively palatial, with comfy booths, big screens, hot food at one end and a large bar. Also, coming soon, were various musical tribute acts, and while Green Date (Day) could do with improving their name, respect to Oasish. Genius!

The OTHER club shop.

We had a good chat with the mascot’s dad (tho’ a Dirty Leeds fan, he seemed alright really). He looked about 25 and when I said he looked far too young to have kids, he said his daughter was 17. Must be something in the water in this part of Nottinghamshire.

Despite an array of seats being available, we stuck to the ones assigned – which turned out to be behind the away dugout. So, we could see ex-Barnsley legend Steve Davis, who was as unlucky as they come in being a key part of the side who took the Super Reds up to the Premiership, but got a career-ending injury in doing so. And we could HEAR Steve Evans, the latest Mansfield manager. God, he shouts a lot. Even when things are going his way, he SHOUTS A LOT. Today, the Stags won 3-0 (2 scrambled efforts and a 15 yarder) and he still seemed perennially angry. I’d love to see him when they lose.


A HAPPY Steve Evans.

Sadly for Davis, the writing seems on the wall. I’ve never had Alex fans as the most lively of supporters, but a couple had brought their ‘Davis Out’ sheet with them, on the offchance of another defeat. Good to see their hard work was worth it.
Davis Out!
I really enjoyed my visit to Mansfield. I’d go again. A pity that barely 3,000 agreed with me.

The Damage:£20 Ent£3 steak pie£7 beers= £30

THIS is how you eat a pie.

The Road To Nowhere.

Back of the home end.
Come On You Stags!



One fan gets his ticket.

Back of the Ian Greaves Stand.

The gantry on the Bishop Street Stand.

The away bench.

Underneath the stand; divided off so no wandering upstairs!

The unbearable sadness of a closed exit.

The away end.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

The world's largest scoreboard.

Yellows! Yellows!

Half time at Field Mill.

Goodbye Mansfield!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...