Monday 29 July 2019

Anderlecht 1-2 KV Oostende, Sunday 28th July 2019

Anderlecht 1-2 KV Oostende, First Division A, att. 19,000 (Lotto Park, AKA Constant Vanden Stock Stadium)

Welcome to...


There’s no doubt who the ‘star’ is today: it’s the homecoming of The King, Vincent Kompany, parachuted in as player-coach and already everyone’s favourite player,  judging by the replica shirts and pre-match tifo.  What can go wrong?

This was the second visit I’d paid to the Constant Vanden Stock stadium.  The last time, they proclaimed to have sold out – in a European qualifier against TNS, no less.  Really?  Anyway, I took no chances this time, buying my ticket online using the print@home facility.  All very easy, though I’m not sure there was the need for me to take a selfie of myself holding up my passport.  I felt like one of those kidnapped types, holding up that day’s newspaper. 


There is a new leader in town.

The journey to the stadium was easy too, once I’d found the Metro station inside Brussels Central Station.  The signage could be a little more obvious.  Or am I a bit slow?  From there, it’s the #5 a few stops, to St. Guido and follow the crowd of purple-clad fans.  (Actually, ‘mauve’, but whothehell knows the difference?)

Pre-match throng amongst the bars

There’s plenty of bars around the stadium, which I chose instead to circumnavigate.  It looks old and tired from the outside (I know the feeling) and it’s no surprise Anderlecht are looking to move on, to some 60,000 superdome or other.  Not that they could sell out their 26,000 stadium today, Vinny or no Vinny.  I got my satchel in, despite signs that no bags beyond A4 were allowed.  The steward gave it a cursory check, which was lucky as I was carrying the hand grenade of the football supporter, a bottle of water.  Mind, temperatures were down due to earlier rain, which should help the football here in July.

Looking a bit dated...'Lotto Park'.

After Vinny’s splendid welcome, Anderlecht tore into the minnows from the coast.  It was 1-0 early on, a smart move ending with a side-footed effort into the top corner from 12 yards.  Then, with barely 15 mins on the clock, the #40 tore down the left, pulled it back and a wonderful turn and shot made it 2-0.  Only it didn’t.  In my 1st experience of VAR live, no-one had any idea why it wouldn’t be allowed.  Celebrations were still going on as Oostende were about to kick-off, before the ref gave the VAR signal and ordered a free kick to the away side.

Two-nil.  Ho ho.

At this point, I think most of us expected 5 or 6 nil, but within a couple of minutes Oostende had equalised, a right wing cut back being missed by two attackers before a 3rd swept it low into the corner.  Reward for getting numbers up.  The scorer then  proceeded to stop and hold his hand up in apology.  A former ‘mauve’?  I’m tired of this…

Half-time came with Anderlecht wasting promising positions but looking vulnerable on the break (their keeper making one amazing save).  That said, he wasn’t all that proficient with the ball at his feet and looked a liability in Vinny’s attempts turn Anderlecht into the Belgian Manchester City.  It’s also not helped by a slow, lumbering centre half – no, not Vinny, but his mate, who looked every inch the English lower division defender.  I predict neither he nor the goalkeeper will last long.


Reminds me of QPR's stadium...

Anyway, so it was.  Anderlecht were indeed vulnerable on the break and Oostende won it with about 15 mins remaining, a throughball and easy finish (I think).  The defence put their hands up for offside, but they’re no Arsenal c.1995.  And in these days of VAR, what’s the point?  An unhappy homecoming for Vinny, then.  If only they’d played ‘Things can only get better’ at full-time.

Despatches: There were 4 groups of ultras supporting Anderlecht, but one thing I’d never seen before was the mobile cheerleader.  Basically, this bloke with his speaker would wander along the seats, disappear down an exit and pop up at the next one, trying to rouse the hordes.  I wanted to tell him.  I’d love to join in, mate – but I don’t speak French.

PLEASE join in.  'Non.'

The Damage:
£26 ent  (print@home)
= £26

The Tunes:
Phantom Brickworks (Bibio)
Behind the Counter with Max Richter (Various)
Watermark (Enya)
Garlands (Cocteau Twins)

Stayed at: (cost)
A&O Hostel Aachen Hauptbahnhof, £14


Constant Vanden Stock Stadium / Lotto Park panorama.

Residential street opposite stadium.

Entrance 2.

In case you forget.

Away fans.  Note the stickers on the glass to ruin the view.

The teams line up.

Full-time.

Looking to the far end.
Anderlecht chase a late equaliser.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...