Sunday 13 October 2019

Clapton CFC 5-2 Stonewall, Saturday 12th October 2019

Clapton CFC 5-2 Stonewall, Middlesex County Football League Premier Division, att. 909 

Welcome to ....

It’s ‘Non-League Day’ and a chance for those of us who face the misery of watching our own league teams every week to have fun.  And what better example of ‘fun’ than watching Clapton CFC, instead of Arsenal or Barnsley, as is usual in my group of friends.  Indeed, upon seeing pics from the game, another Gooner commented on how it looked nothing like the Emirates – people were SMILING.  I even chatted amiably with a Newcastle fan who’d brought his neighbour’s dog along, and a couple of Dirty Leeds in the pub afterwards.  WTF???

Not the dog I was on about.  Another dog.

I must admit, I hadn’t quite realised there’d be such numbers and it was packed behind the main goal (though even Clapton have a splinter ultra group at the other end - the splitters?)  I was looking forward to seeing the teams come out – my mates’ kids were mascots.  So I missed that, not realising it was a 2:30pm kick-off and spending far too long in a new brew-pub in Walthamstow with my posse.  Oh well.  (Apparently, the kids prefer Clapton to Arsenal, as they get to shake hands with the players at full-time.)

The splitters at the far end.

We arrived in time to see Stonewall go two up, the second being a stunning scissor-kick volley which I couldn’t see from the far end.  Grrrrrr.  However, in an amazing game befitting the incredible crowd, Clapton fought back to win 5-2.  A packed home end made for a buzzing atmosphere.  And where else do you get the away team serenaded at full-time…their players taking the applause as ‘Stonewall we love you’ rang out. 

Clapton celebrate a goal.

Since last season, CCFC have moved to another stadium within the Wadham Lodge sports complex, to Walthamstow Town’s abode, complete with seated (covered) main stand, and terracing and roofs at either end.  Coming to see Clapton CFC is something else.  Indeed, Maria, Barnsley born and bred, wants her man Dave, Barnsley season-ticket holder, to change allegiances.  One thing we all agreed: it was better than watching Barnsley.  And Arsenal.  And I was able to get horrifically drunk afterwards, fall asleep in Vauxhall Bus Station on the way home and at some point lose my bag, with camera.  I crawled in at 4am.  I wouldn’t have swapped it for anything.  

The Damage:
£3 ent
£2 prog
= £5

The Tunes:
Psychocandy (The Jesus and Mary Chain)
And The Waltz Goes On (Andre Richlieu)

The start of my day...the new brew pub.
The end of my day...waking up drunk in Vauxhall bus station.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...