Monday 31 August 2020

Darlington Railway Athletic 3-3 Esh Winning, Saturday 29th August 2020

Darlington Railway Athletic 3-3 Esh Winning, Friendly, att. c.60 

Welcome to .....

Football is BACK!  Just a week after the Champions League Final of season 2019-20, a new season has dawned after last season’s Coronavirus-related extension.    Of far greater significance though is that fans are finally being allowed inside stadia, nearly 6 months after the shutdown.  Teams from the 7th tier downwards are able to bring in crowds, albeit at much lower capacity.  But small steps and all that….I was itching to go!

The officials psyche themselves up ready for the match.

I was up in the north-east (long story) and with the Northern League about to start the following Saturday, I scouted around for a friendly to go to.  I dropped on Wearside League side Darlington Railway Athletic v Northern League Esh Winning.  I looked up where the ground was.  Not too far from Morrisons, North Road.  Grand – I could pick up some shopping on the way home to my dad’s.  Did I mention I now have access to a car?  No more 3 hour journeys by public transport the 15 miles from Middlesbrough to my dad's house...


Match action at the Rifle Club end.

It was about a half hour drive and I parked outside the ground, to be met by a Railway player crossing the road to collect balls booted over the road during the pre-match kickabout.  Despite reading the clubs Covid-19 risk assessment, I had no idea what to expect.  Would access be a problem?  Only 150 spectators were allowed, far higher than Railway’s usual attendance, but would they be swamped by football fans desperate just to get out and see a game in the flesh again?  No.  The crowd would be about 60.

The Brinkburn Road End.

Without any obvious turnstiles, I was pleased to see a small group of men enter a building through a door.  I followed them and entered the clubhouse, a decent sized bar with a large pool room adjacent.  Certain seats had been taped over to encourage ‘social distancing’.  I couldn’t say no to a drink, but as I was driving I made it a Coke.  Canned, not on tap.  As I like it.  The club had even managed to put up a plastic screen at the bar to protect the staff.


A closer inspection of the Paul Adamson Memorial Stand.

I wandered through what was the pool room (no-one was playing but a fair few were drinking) and landed myself outside.  What’s this?  Some picnic tables and a cricket field.  Turns out the club has a cricket side too, and judging by a bloke just taking the bails off the wickets, I guess I’d just missed  a game.  Over a small fence meanwhile was the football pitch, which I could see perfectly fine from here, but I wanted more.  Even if the ‘50p mix ups’ on offer at a stall were tempting.  (Inflation eh….they were 10 pence when I were a lad.)  I walked back through the social club and through a different exit into the football ground proper.


All manner of fun to be had!

Brinkburn Road is a basic venue.  A small stand behind one goal contains the only seating, while there is a small cover opposite, over what I imagine is the world’s smallest terrace.  As a shot cleared this stand in the first half, I asked what was behind.  ‘A rifle club…..but it’s ok, they tell us when there’s firing on.’  Blimey.  I would hope so.

Overlooking the cricket pitch.

The vast majority of the fans stood on the near touchline.  Tape discourages all but the cheeky from standing on the 4th side, where the dugouts are.  There’s no terracing either side, but a fetching barrier around the edge painted in the club colours of red and white.  Tape had also been stuck to the paving beneath, showing what 2 metres looks like.  Again, encouraging fans to social distance.  

The view towards the football ground next door.

With only around 60 fans in the ground (plus those around the picnic tables…did they pay?) there was plenty of space to distance, and outside of small groups of 3 or 4, everyone did.  The closest anyone came to mixing was when a couple of heavies…sorry, committee men…came to give out match tickets.  No wonder I didn’t see any turnstiles, I don’t think there are any.  So here was a new one on me….coming round to collect the money and give out match tickets.  I think I was 28/150.  I’m limited edition!  For a second time I had my contact details taken (the first was at the bar) so full  marks there, but they’d have had problems if there were more than 150 there, a possibility since anyone could just wander in.  Plus I’m not sure this system would work at Old Trafford.

Down the touchline.

The game itself was a cracker, far from your typical ‘friendly’.  Esh, as the higher team, attempted to pass their way around Railway, yet found themselves two goals down to breakaway goals.  Esh then pulled themselves back with a free kick before half time and were in front early in the 2nd half.  Proving the Esh keeper wasn’t the only one capable of running out of his goal to be beaten by a forward, the Railway keeper repeated the feat.  I blame Manuel Neuer.  No blame on the keeper for the 3rd Esh goal though, a blistering wind-assisted half volley from the apex of the penalty area which cannoned in off the far upright.  I might have seen the goal of the season before it’s even begun.


Brinkburn Road end.

Thereafter, Esh sat back, swanned around and looked like they’d done the job.  It appeared so too, but a fine ball down the right saw Railway break once again and the pullback was sidefooted in.  A cracking game and a deserved end.  Good luck to both teams this season….and welcome back!!!!!!!

The Damage:
£2 ent
£1.20 Coca-Cola
= £3.20

The Tunes:
Implant (Eatstatic)

Limited edition.  28/150.


The view towards the dugouts.


The Railway keeper about to be beaten by a free kick for 2-1.


Barriers in the club colours.


A ramshackle cover at the Rifle Club end.


Half time and Esh are forced to stay on the pitch.


Kids' half-time penalty shootout.


The smallest terrace in the world?


The Brinkburn Road end, again.


The view from the seats.


The Esh kit.  Well, it has to park itself somewhere.  No after match showers today.


Paul Adamson, in whose memory the stand at the Brinkburn Road end is named.


A reminder on the paving adjacent the longside.


Social distancing at Darlington R.A.


Remind me, what's the best thing about following non-league?


Match action at the Brinkburn Road end.


 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...