Sunday 26 September 2021

Darlington 1-2 York City, Saturday 25th September 2021

Darlington 1-2 York City, National League North, Blackwell Meadows, att. 2,176



I decided to have a trip down Memory Lane today, as, rather than jump in the car to Darlo, I’d catch a bus. Thirty odd years have passed since I last did this. The 722/723 is now the Number 7 bus. It’s a single rather than double decker, and it goes every 15 minutes instead of the half hour. So, some things improve. Though instead of a detour round the Central Avenue of Newton Aycliffe, a new route seems to cover the whole town. I could have done without that.

I thought I’d treat myself to the bus and have a couple of pints (unlike 30 odd years ago). I must have gone in half a dozen pubs looking for something which WASN’T San Miguel, Heineken, Fosters, Strongbow Dark Fruit (WTF?), etc . Eventually I found myself in The Quakerhouse, a real ale pub down an alley off High Row. They had a beer brewed in my hometown. It’s a sign! I ordered a pint of it. Meantime, at the bar, conversation revolved around ‘Teeswater’ and ‘Skernewater’ (the Skerne is the Tees tributary running through Darlo). I presume they were describing my pint. Horrible. I left half of it (cos, obviously, you have to give it a chance).

Once upon a time, Darlington used to be quite the Quaker town, as reflected in the pub name and the nickname of the football team. So of course there was a HUMANIST stall on High Row. Makes a change from all the God botherers I’m used to in Rye Lane, Peckham. And humanists don’t seem to be in your face and ears with a microphone hooked up to some speakers, so I can thank them for that at least. There were also alpacas in the market place, though they were wisely behind a barrier. Who doesn’t love an alpaca!?

So, I headed towards Blackwell Meadows, the latest home of Darlington FC. At least I’d be able to get a pint there, and watch some football. (Another presumption which was shot down; no beer to be had, no idea why). This is the 4th home ground I’ve seen Darlington, after Feethams (R.I.P.), the Darlington Arena and Bishop Auckland’s Heritage Park. At least they’re back in town (or the edge thereof), but the walk is 15 minutes further on from where Feethams (R.I.P.) used to be, now a very nice looking housing estate. The best ground in the league, lost forever, just like that.

It was a nice walk as it goes, past Feethams (R.I.P.), along the river and through South Park. I took the scenic route, along with as many as three other fans. The rest presumably took the more direct path, along a busy A167 (the old ‘Great North Road’, or A1). Times had further changed in my match ticket. Ordered in advance, it was now a code on my phone. Thankfully, it still had some battery life.

Today’s visit was considered a ‘local derby’, though back in the days of Division 4 I don’t remember it ever advertised as such. Hartlepool (the monkey hangers) was THE derby, and one the fans still yearn for. One day. But, for a Conference North (Division 6) game, the crowd of over 2000 was the highest of the day, and comparable with what they used to get in the Football League. Even better, the old Feethams (R.I.P.) Tin Shed (the roof behind one goal) was put in storage during their absence of Darlington leave, and has now been resurrected at Blackwell Meadows, home of Darlington Rugby Club. (The other rugby club, Mowden Park, have taken over the 27,000 Darlington Arena. Considered too costly for the football club to run, a rugby team with half the number of fans now owns it. Anyone would think rugby fans have more money than football fans…

Blackwell Meadows was not as basic as I imagined, although a Spenny (Spennymoor) fan described it as a disgrace to me the other week. True, the away end is a small grass bank, but the other 3 sides are respectable for this level. Two virtually identical tin shed roofs cover a terrace behind one goal, and a seated stand mainly situated in the away half. The 4th side houses the rugby pavillion and contains the best view in the ground – from a balcony high above the pitch. All in, a capacity of around 3,300.

One thing that doesn’t change over the years is the calibre of home performance. Barely half an hour had elapsed and Darlo were two down with a man sent off. Worse, the departed player was Rotherham loanee Jake Cooper, who’d strengthened the defence no end of late. Manager Alan Armstrong was still seething enough at half-time to inform the ref of what he thought of his decision(s)…and received a red of his own for his troubles. Alan, for what it’s worth, the sending off didn’t look too surprising to me, Cooper dived in and took the player out. A brave second half performance brought a consolation goal for Darlo, but the damage had been done. The more things change….

The Damage:
£14 ent
£2.50 programme
= £16.50

The Tunes:
Brothers Gonna Work It Out (Chemical Brothers)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...