Sunday 21 August 2022

BFC 0-3 Wycombe Wanderers, Saturday 20th August 2022

‘Spacker!’

The first 4 shirts I saw in Barnsley town centre on Satdy were Man City, Man City, Arsenal and Dirty Leeds. On a matchday! Have some civic pride, Barnsley. Mind, I also saw a Wigan Warriors shirt and some Aussie rugby league shirt or other. Then a Blunts shirt on the way to the match. He was obviously a loyal Blunt as well, given they were also at home. Did he really wear his shirt just to annoy the hundreds (dozens) of Reds fans heading up to the ground? Anyway, he got a mouthful, and not just off me.

As a special treat, Diane was driving back, so I could drink as much as I could God damn pleasey this week. So 3 whole pints of a lowish percentage pale ale. What’s happening to me? Nowhere near enough to drown the effects of the match, a humbling nil-three to a side with half our budget (yet strangely containing Alfie Mawson) and on a run of 3 successive defeats. Another Londontyke who may or may not have been holidaying in Corsica didn’t know where this result or performance came from. I suspect there are others, such as myself, who found the game strangely comforting. It was entirely predictable. The more things change, the more they remain the same, etc. ‘Chalk and cheese from Tuesday night’ (3-0 v Bristol Rovers) one fan said to me. ‘Chalk and chalk from the Cheltenham game’ I replied. (Yes, I know we won, but I said they were poor. Unfortunately, Wycombe weren’t.)

I’d not long been marvelling at Mawson’s aimless clearances (what’s happened to him?) when he dinked a gorgeous 40 yard throughball for their centre forward, Although he controlled the ball into traffic, a little pass here and a 20 yarder there, 0-1. Quality goal from their perspective. Our 1st half output was a Cundy header off a corner, nicely tipped over, and Aitchison, snatching at a chance and driving it straight at the keeper from 12 yards with both corners gaping. You can’t teach composure. And that was it. That was our GOOD half.

Second half, we were played off the pitch and Wycombe scored 2 excellent goals, the like of which we’re incapable. (Actually, we’re also incapable of scoring those scrappy 6 yarders too.) The ball runs loose and a 45 yarder is looped over Collins. Is he the only keeper I know to be done from this distance at least twice (Stoke home, 3 years ago)? Very probably. Another Reds fan in the pub (I forget his name, one of Nozzer’s mates who talks incessantly, won’t listen and interrupts when you have the temerity to speak…anyway, him…not Darrell (altho’…) ….said summat about the wind giving us problems. That’s true. It was windy for us. Not for them. Then another slick move where their players MOVE and our players WATCH leads to another fine finish. Wycombe may not get promotion, but they’re streets ahead of us. Our attacking response? A low left wing cross which Cole runs to but misses the ball (a defender pressurising him). That’s it. I can’t remember us having a shot, nevermind missing a chance.

Onwards and upwards!

*** Nobody. He’s back. Strong in defence.
** Nobody. Best midfielder we had.
* Nobody. He was everywhere up front.

Official MOTM: None. We’re back to being mardy. Lose and it’s none of ‘em!

Londontykes’ MOTM: 1= Andersen / Benson 3. Kitching

Despatches:
Top marks to the Oakwell DJ at full-time, as he played the Inspiral Carpets ‘This is how it feels.’

So this is how it feels to be lonely
This is how it feels to be small
This is how it feels
When Wycombe score a goal

Not that most of the crowd heard it, Oakwell emptying at three-nil (a slight improvement on last season’s leaving at two down; are fans more hopeful of a comeback at this level?)

Top marks to those of you who found a top 3. I see Benson mentioned a couple of times. Christ. Did he even kick the ball? I thought Scowen did alright…but hang on, he doesn’t play for us anymore. Mawson had nowt to do, and McCarthy came on for the Holy Trinity. For us…I remember Kitching making another great 40 yard run down the middle of the pitch. Why can’t our attacking / creative players run with the ball? Otherwise, I watched as Mads Andersen stood 3 yards off a player about to shoot. I thought he’d be one of those Reds players a half-decent side might be interested in, but not if he can’t do the basics.

Regards the ref, I know it's the done thing to criticise him for not giving us 17 penalties, but my main remembrance was of Norwood conning him into giving us 2 free kicks with outrageous dives. Still, at least he (Norwood) made an impression. Be good if it was a positive one though. Please tell me we haven't handed over oodles of wages for a player whose only ability is to cheat?

To finish on a positive, I don’t think we’ll go down. (Famous last words.)

Drink du jour: Atlantis pale ale in Spiral City.

Away: 283.

Today’s take home: It’s going to be a difficult season without a forward line.

The Damage:
c.£34 travel
£48 away shirt. Get ‘em while they don’t have a sponsor!!!
= £82

I couldn’t be bothered to buy a match programme, given the cartoonish front covers of this season. Is some GCSE art student on work experience? I can’t decide if this season’s programme covers annoy me more than last season. A very petty grievance most of you will say, but at least it takes my mind off the football.

The Tunes:
BB6 Music (Radcliffe and Maconie / Huey Morgan / Craig Charles’ Funk and Soul Show)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...