Sunday 18 September 2022

Cambridge United 0-3 BFC, Saturday 17th September 2022

‘Are you Wednesday in disguise?’

Bloody hell, I’ve seen us win an away game! I can’t remember the last time, but it wasn’t last season. I was lucky to see a home win last season. And against a team who’d won 4/4 this season (so Radio Sheffield tells me, I haven’t checked). And with 10 men and with the keeper carried off. Whatthehell was going on?

I drove down and got parked up for free 25 mins walk from the station. Otherwise, it was £25 for 5 hours parking. I have to say, I’m not surprised. It was a nightmare getting in. Then, a quick check-in at my guesthouse (and you knew it was the cheapest on offer, given I bumped into other Reds fans there) before meeting the others in the pub in the station. Had Erdinger on tap, but everyone else was supping up. Oh well.

Full marks here to Loko. A fabulous pub crawl lay ahead….which finished at the next pub, the Cambridge Blue. Too fabulous to leave, Benediktiner Weiss bier on tap, sunny day, table in the beer garden….burgers in brioche buns (am I the only person to object to this recent trend?)…yes, the others could wait till after the game. As time ticked by, it was the usual schism between those who’d rather walk and those who’d rather Uber. Thus it was that I shared our second minute’s silence of the week outside the Abbey Stadium with Farnham and Reedy, as the stewards wouldn’t let us in till respects were paid. (Cap doffed.)

We headed to the far side, high up. I’m sure Reedy opened his mouth about it being nice if we could be on the back row so we could stand up. Or else he simply intimidated 2 women into moving. Either way, we were sat behind Devante Cole’s mum and other. Fingers crossed he continues his recent improvement! Anyway, duty called, and I apparently missed Cambridge hitting the post. (If I don’t see it, did it really happen?) A nothing sort of game developed somewhere over there (I’d had a bit to drink, and besides, this new stand is built 20 yards from the pitch for some reason). Then we score. A soft through ball appears to bamboozle their defence and Cole is in, nil one. Good finish, low into the corner. What a player! What a legend! He even has a song now, not that I remember the words. His mum is well chuffed.

Second half, the Super Reds Whites are kicking towards our end. What is going on with our shirts today? Our home red and away black obviously clash with their orange (ok, amber)? More nothingness. I can’t decide if we’re playing well or not, but I’m not bothered – we’re winning. Then, with an hour gone, Collins gets himself hurt and play is suspended for 10 mins. I’m guessing he crashed into one of their players, as he leaves covered in blood and a Kiwi 20 year old steps in for his debut (where’s Wally? Sorry, Walton?).

Things get worse a couple of minutes after the restart, as Kitching receives his second innocuous booking of the afternoon. I’ve since seen it on telly and I’m still not convinced it’s a booking, their player falling over him, but hey! Let’s see what we’re made of. (I was actually very confident, which is either a mark of how unbothered I am if we don’t win – I’m used to it - or else the beer consumed). Problies the latter. Benson, Norwood and Cadden come on for Thomas, Aitchison and debutant Edwards…and we STEAMROLLER them. (We’ll ignore their 2 disallowed goals for offside.)

Benson in particular looks in his element, showboating, keeping possession…and crossing for Cundy to make it two. We’ve only got 10 men, yet half of them are in their box. Go Barnsley! Then a hoof forward into space sees Norwood nudge their guy, enough for him to lose balance, before latching onto the ball and rifling it into the net. Finally, I can see what he was bought for. ‘It’s just like watching Brazil’ and ‘We’ve only got 10 men’ ring out from the away end, as well as a bizarre rendition of the national anthem. It’s what Queenie would have wanted.

Onwards and upwards!

*** Kane. I’m copying the rest. No-one stood out for me.
** Cole. Another decent game, another goal….and brave of manager Duff to go with TWO up front late on.
* Benson. He just looked a class apart when he came on.

Londontykes’ MOTM: 1. Kane 2. Cole 3= Benson/Cundy/Thomas

Despatches:
Top 6! WTF is going on!? We haven’t been great thus far, but we’ve played 3 of the top 4 and none of the bottom 4, yet have more wins than losses. This augurs well for a team without a decent centre forward. Can we get carried away? Of course we can! Just imagine how well we’ll do when we get good?

Ingratiating myself with Devante’s mum (‘so, who’s mum are you?’) I told her it was lovely to meet Andy Cole’s other half. ‘Ex’ she said with a wry smile.

In the pub afterwards, 2 Londontykes (who may or may not be related) decide they’re going to queue up to see the Queen’s box. Whatever my views on whether this was a positive use of anyone’s time, respect due for rocking up at midnite and queuing all night to be ‘part of history’. The state I was in Sunday morning, I think I’d have fallen asleep and frozen to death.

Drink du jour: Benediktiner, some crap pale ale with Citrus in the title, summat else, summat else again.

Away: c.1100.

Today’s take home: Kane, Benson for Beds…..Norwood, Cole…..I feel like we’ve signed 4 new players this past fortnight.

The Damage:
£24 ent
c.£70 travel
£81 hotel
= £175

The Tunes:
BB6 Music (Radcliffe without Maconie / Huey Morgan)
Slowdive (Slowdive)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...