***pics uplaoding not working.
Workington 3-1 Ilkeston Town, Northern Premier League Premier Division, Fibrus Community Stadium (Derwent Park), att. 818
I was reminded yesterday of schoolboy holidays to Devon and Cornwall. Bear with me. I was thinking of the last (only) time I’ve been to Workington and it was a beautiful, sunny day. Today was similar. Sunny, warm. And as a kid, calling in on family at Somerset on the way to a Dawlish, or Perranporth, or Woolacombe, I’d marvel at how it never rained where they lived. Anyway, it never rains in Workington as far as I can deduce, and it’s nice to reminisce over those holidays I never failed to enjoy.
It’s a long drive to Workington too. 3 hours – and I actually live in the north (near Huddersfield). I can see why they were voted out of the league in the 70s. But it’s that Football League heritage that brings me and other groundhoppers here. The old Borough Park ground is now closed, the football team sharing the nearby Fibrus Community Stadium (Derwent Park) while the local council knocks down and rebuilds Borough Park before turning it into the 5,000 capacity Cumberland Sports Village. Both rugby league and football teams will share the new stadium and Derwent Park will join Borough Park in being demolished.
Knowing the geography, I park up across the bridge from Borough Park in the aptly named Northside. (I’ve now had another childhood memory; it never dawned on me as a kid that the street behind mine...and the last in town…’Southside’ was the very last street at the south of my hometown.) From the bridge, you can look down on Borough Park and as I crossed I saw a few enterprising groundhoppers (middle-aged, Caucasian, nosey – how does anyone tell a groundhopper?) looking for a way in to the now derelict ground. If you can’t beat ‘em, etc. I’m not far behind and enjoy a 20 minute exploration. With the others perhaps more determined to see kick-off at Derwent Park, I am soon on my own. Feel the history. Feel the sadness. Another old ground soon to be dismantled in the name of progress.
Derwent Park, as the name suggests, is about 10 minutes further along the River Derwent. This is another absolute gem, but in a totally different way, as it also used to house a speedway team, the Workington Comets. Consequently, there is a large curved terrace at the Town End of the stadium, though the top third is barriered-off for some reason. Looks safe enough, though with a current safety certificate for just over 3,000, in a ground that once held 17,000 for a rugby league game, they’re taking no chances.
The far end curve isn’t as large, but is grassed over. A path around its rear is closed off, so no walk around the inside perimeter for me. And with crowds not coming close to 3,000, this makes Derwent Park essentially a two-sided stadium. To the right, as you enter, is a large covered terrace which runs the length of the pitch. ‘Cider Pete’s Bar’ sells a couple of cans of something, amidst not much else. So where are fans getting those pints of beer from? (Ans: a container the other side of the ground.) I enjoy the first half on this side, parking my raincoat on a crush barrier as I’m actually too hot. It’s just like Somerset this is.
Workington score twice in the opening 10 minutes or so, both close range finishes. Ilkeston appear to have plenty of players who look big and powerful, but have no idea on how to defend. Still, I shouldn’t be surprised. The home side go on to record their 6th successive win (5th successive game in which they’ve scored 3). Ilkeston aren’t really in it. Even when they pull a goal back to make it 2-1, it merely spurs Workington on to make the game safe.
Second half, I’ve retreated to the Main Stand. Despite being some yards from the pitch, the height brings even better views. Again, it spans virtually the full pitch length and tapers at each end. They don’t build ‘em like this anymore. Mainly cos everyone demands perfect views. Here, we have stanchions holding up the roof, and non-league floodlights (4 on each touchline). But I can drink my Angelo Poretti in peace following my sausage and bacon bap (no butter). I love it here, just as I loved it at Borough Park. I’ll reserve judgement on the Cumberland Sports Village.
The Damage:
£15 ent
£3 programme
£4.80 sausage and bacon bap
£4.50 Angelo Poretti (pint of)
= £27.30
No comments:
Post a Comment