Sunday 11 August 2013

Hoffenheim 2-2 1.FC Nürnberg, Saturday 10th August 2013

Hoffenheim  2-2  1.FC Nürnberg, Bundesliga, att. 25,730

What is there to say about Hoffenheim?  A village team playing in front of 3,000 people not 5 years ago, now mainstays in the Bundesliga.  Of course, having a tiny stadium in the hills above Hoffenheim was no match for their meteoric rise, so they’ve gone the whole hog and bought themselves one of those large out of town super stadia, built in the middle of nowhere yet easily accessible from the motorway next door. Like the Reebok, then.



Pointless signs #647

It’s not greatly handy for the pedestrianised populace, though the stadium has it’s own bahnstop, some 20+ minutes walk away.  For you city types it might even be described as a pleasurable stroll, through fields of corn. There’s also a couple of biergartens en  route and a stall selling hundreds of scarves (see pic).  What is not on display is stuffed in boxes underneath the tables, where Rangers and Motherwell (amongst others)had been relegated to.  Who’d NOT want a Motherwell scarf?



Why would you?

Also, one stand sold scarves purely insulting teams (‘Scheiss Bayern’).    Now, while I can subscribe to the message, why would I buy a ‘Scheiss Bayern’ scarf in BAYERN COLOURS?  (Or Dortmund, or St. Pauli…take your pick).  Is the idea that I wear it as an away fan at THEIR ground while sat ‘under cover’ in their end?  Cos they won’t be able to read the ‘Scheiss’ bit as it’s round my neck?  Equally, would I hang it up at home? I might hate Newcastle United (however ‘entertaining’ they might be) but I don’t want to see some black and white monstrosity on my wall, let alone reference to their name.

NOT how I got here.

Today I came from Heidelberg, which meant a rail replacement bus (Germany has them too) to Neckargemund, then a S3 train to Sinsheim Arena/Museum, calling at every village on the way.  Still, this is  a necessary evil if Hoffenheim are to ensconce themselves as the team of the region.  In this day and age,  with football dominated by the urban conurbations, Hoffenheim need all the support they can muster.  What will happen if (when?) they get relegated, as many in Germany hope they do, seeing them as having bought their success (like big teams don’t!)?

I told a lie when I said the Rhine-Neckar Arena is in the middle of nowhere.  There is a large transport museum next to it, so if you’re interested in planes, trains and automobiles (I’m not) then you could easily combine a trip to both.  It looked impressive to the untrained eye.

A farmer arrives early...

At the stadium, the standing tickets (€12) had sold out,  so I had to get myself a seat. The cheapest was €20, in Sektion R, right next to the ‘Bitburger Kurve’, their main terrace.  Despite worries over sightlines, I had a punt and booked myself in on the back row.  I could always stand.  But I need not have been concerned.  I was inside the stadium early – partly a result of Hoffenheim having one of those infernal card systems to buy refreshments.  Well, they’ve diddled themselves out of some of my money there then. So I decided to take a few pics, which is how I ended up taking a €41 seat by the side of the pitch.  Hurrah, I wouldn’t have to watch the match through a net.

A club shop offering...don't think I didn't consider it.

The teams came out to a bewildering number of kids waving large flags on the pitch.  The
Nürnberg corner was full, but there were a few away fans dotted around elsewhere.  Seasoned Nürnberg fans without tickets for the away end took over the block next to the away end, so we had the odd site of a fence separating the away fans from…other away fans.  What with the number of empty seats in the home end, might I make a suggestion to Hoffenheim?  Increase the size of the away end!

The official crowd was 25,730 but this looked a blatant exaggeration – there were way more than 5000 empty seats.  I’d have said a nearer 22k.  Were they ‘doing an Arsenal’ and massaging the figures for sponsors, etc?

An interesting sculpture outside the stadium.

The match was quite a thriller.  Hoffenheim went two up just after half time with a tap-in but in a crazy opening 15 minutes of the second half, Nürnberg managed to bag themselves a pair.  Hoffenheim opened with a header from a corner before Modeste, having missed everything else, was given one on a plate that even he couldn’t miss.  When 1.FCN pulled it back (I can’t remember their goals) the scene looked set for a crescendo, but that was it, save for a couple of near misses.

Hoffenheim ultras pre-match
There was one point of controversy though, which collided with the one moment of pure class.  In the last minute of the 1st half, Hoffenheim found themselves clean through, wide left, and the deftest of chips beat the keeper.  Sublime finish – yet it was chalked off.  I thought for offside, but there was no flag.  The ref had simply blown for half time.  But surely not when there’s a goalscoring chance?  And anyway, I could SWEAR the whistle went AFTER he shot.  Note to self: must youtube this.  (Turned out it was disallowed because the officials wrongly thought it hadn’t crossed the line; the spin on the ball brought it back into play).

I spoke to another guy later who’d been to the match.  It turned out we were staying the same room at the hostel.  He was behind the goal where the ‘goal’ was scored and he had no idea what happened but he wondered if the ball hadn’t crossed the line…!

Attendance: 25,730  (Wirsol Rhein-Neckar Arena)
The Damage:
€20 ent

€6 badge
€1 prog
= €27
Outside of the stadium


Scarves galore


Fence separating the home terrace and seats


Welcome to the...


Plenty of space to move into the expensive seats...


Full time.


The scarf waving says excited, the face says ....


Away fans on the right


The teams come out.


Nurnberg corner.


An interloper in the home end.


Outside the stadium.


Home time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...