Monday 12 August 2013

Sandhausen 2-2 Energie Cottbus, Sunday 11th August 2013

'You're from the 70s and I'm a 90s bitch.' (a line from some Eurobeat tune  - which may or may not be called 'I don't care' - prevalent at the last 3 matches I've been to)

Heidelberg and the Neckar valley


For a second day in a row I saw the home side have to settle for a point having been 2-0 up. It's going to be a real struggle for Sandhausen this season.
The fates decided my game today.  Having had a taste of Bundesliga 1 yesterday, I rather fancied taking in Mainz-Stuttgart today.  I'd looked on their website, there were still tickets left, and there was a direct train from Heidelberg (50 mins), where I was staying.  However, going to bed at 5:30am after a drinking session with some Swedes and an English chemistry student did not endear itself to a mission.  So I chose Sandhausen, which was Plan A all along.  Whilst they're a small team from a small town, shooting well above their station in Bundesliga 2, it was 6 minutes (yes, 6 mins!) from Heidelberg by train.  Can't they tap into the Heidelberg market (population: 150,000)?  The attendance today?  3,200.


The bus awaits the journey back.  Awaits 90 minutes (plus HT).

Fortune favours the brave and I caught the 12:48 from Heidelberg for a 13:30 KO.  Had to maximise my sleep.  The stadium looked walkable on my map (another mistake).  As I disembarked at St. Ilgen – Sandhausen I was staring at my map, no idea what street was what (where IS this Netto mentioned on Google maps?) when a helpful DB official asked ‘Stadion?’  ‘Ja’ and he pointed at a bus, just setting off.  He whistled and waved, the driver stopped and onboard I got.  Fabulous, straight to the stadium (which was miles away, I’d never have made KO otherwise).  The driver was on a cushy number too.  He parked the bus at the stadium, went and saw the game himself, and drove us back to the station.  THAT’S service. Free too.  (Take note Reading, Coventry City et al).

The understated main entrance

In another case of history repeating itself, I got an upgrade again – by accident.  I bought my €11 stehplatz, this time in the paddock by the side of the pitch.  However, I think I went through the VIP entrance by mistake and ended up in the seats.  A couple of well-dressed ladies greeted me, gave me a free programme and beckoned me in.  How could I say ‘nein’?

I couldn’t find the entry to the terrace.  All I found were metal fences separating the big nobs (me) from the hoi polloi.  So I took my seat, looked around and noticed I was the only one in that section not wearing a green or red wristband, presumably noting a genuine VIP.  Mind, the average VIP at Sandhausen appeared to be a 70 year old pensioner.  Maybe I blended in nicely.


The posh seats (at half time).

After last nite’s shananighans, a seat was just what the doctor ordered, though they lacked a high enough back for true comfort.  What a cute ground though!  The stand I was in went about 2/3 the length of the pitch, with the aforementioned paddock in front.  The latter 1/3, to my right, housed the Sandhausen ultras.  For some reason it was €2 more to stand here.  The away end was a small terrace behind the goal, while a seated stand stood opposite.  (I wasn’t sure if this was temporary or not;  it certainly looked it – perhaps needed as part of their licence to play Bundesliga 2?)  Finally, the far side had another tiny terrace, devoid of fans though containing a couple of camera gantries and half a dozen coppers.  Nice work if you can get it.


A watchtower and half a dozen police.

It was a good game though. You wait forever to see a keeper being rounded for a goal – then you get two in one game, one for either side.  A penalty (see pic) had put Sandhausen one up before a long ball over the top completely deceived the centre half, allowing Sandhausen to run clear from the left, cut inside past the keeper and plant the ball into an empty net.  Sweet.  2-0 up, barely 20 minutes on the clock.

A penalty puts Sandhausen one up.

Energie weren’t out of it though.  Both sides played an open game and Energie in particular looked dangerous against the home side’s shoddy offside trap.  Cottbus pulled one back before half time.  Although not closed down, the ball was curled beautifully into the top corner from 20 yards.  HT came and not many of us VIPs (!) stayed in our seats, most heading towards the ‘restaurant’ for tucker.  Without much other scope for wander, I gently nursed the beer I’d had since before kick-off.


Sandy Ultras (possibly not their real name).

The 2
nd half was all Energie, or at least the chances were.  Within 10 ins it was 2-2, the offside trap again failing miserably, leaving not one, but two men clear.  The keeper was rounded in simple fashion and the ball rolled in right in front of the Cottbus contingent.  Two-all and that’s how it stayed, despite the visitors’ dominance.


And now, here I am, top of a mountain (technically, it probably is) and I’m shivering.  The sun is out, but my sweat-stained shirt has dried and I am officially cold.  Time to sup up and get out of here.  It’s downhill all the way!!!!!!!!!!
Attendance: 3,200  (Hardtwaldstadion)
The Damage: €11 ent €3 beer €3 badge = €17
There and back from Heidelberg (inc. match) in under three and  half hours.  At Sandhausen there appears nothing but a pizzeria/ice cream parlour, but on hot hot hot days like these, and half an hour to a train, you can’t beat two scoops of vanilla and cherry ice cream.

Sandhausen club shop
Back of stand behind the goal
Sneaking a view...

Note covering (it's all scaffolding under here)

Stadium plan
Today's main attraction

Energie team coach

VIP tunnel (restaurant above)

Match action, including camera gantries

The sparsely populated temporary stand

Balustrade.  Nice touch.
Energie ultras (the journey home).

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...