Saturday 15 August 2015

1.FC Saarbrücken 1-0 Wormatia Worms, Friday 14th August 2015


1.FC Saarbrücken 1-0 Wormatia Worms (att. 4,009)

I see a floodlight...

This is another stadium I’ve admired from afar and been desperate to visit for ages. The Ludwigsparkstadion is a 35,000 capacity stadium with a couple of massive terraces formed around an athletics track – almost like a Hampden, or Ibrox, or Celtic Park were in their day.

The main home end in particular is enormous, far too big for a side playing regional league football in Germany. But since the stadium is in some sort of valley, it could be bigger still. Upon walking around it, on one side, you can see the pitch below.

On the terrace

As it is, walking from the station, be careful; I followed 3 fans, but although the stadium is only around a mile away, it’s easy to get lost in the estates around. We arrived at the home end. Plenty of ticket booths (there seemed to be plenty of everything) and for €9, entry is yours.

I wasn’t allowed to take my backpack in though prams and pushchairs were. I was given a raffle ticket (you know the type) while a couple of stewards looked after the pile of motorcycle helmets and other bags. Sounds great, ‘cept this was the one match where I had no pockets on my shorts (it was laundry day!) thus I had to carry my wallet and camera. Oh well, worse happens at sea and it was a nice day.


Follow them, I say.


I entered at the top of the terrace, which was handy. You can avoid any steps if need be. Perfect for pushchairs! Also, although your match ticket is unique to a particular block, when the crowd is this low (4,009) the dividing gates are open and you can wander where you like. Presumably this did not happen last year, when Saarbrucken drew Dortmund in the cup and got 35,000.

The 1.FCS ultras

The ultras chose the central block behind the goal – yet there was still so much space they narrowed their area using ribbons and banners. Ultras must cosy up! I went and grabbed a beer and wurst and initially chose to move to one side, on the paddock. There was still so much space I could sit down on the terrace (which was sprouting all kinds of greenery due to underuse). Later, I sat behind the goal at the top of the terrace and the view was still pretty good considering the athletics track.

The teams come out.

The match itself was one-way traffic. The corner count was a 15-1 rout (the scoreboard kept us updated) yet few clear chances were created and it came as some relief when in the 54th minute of the first half (!) 1.FCS finally scored, a low cross despatched into the bottom left.

The 54th minute? Well, if you’ve ever wondered why athletics tracks have sandpits (long jump? You fool!) the answer lay here. About 10 mins in, a huge hole appeared on the pitch, enough to lose half a leg in. A mini-sink hole? The answer? A couple of coaches filling buckets with sand before replenishing the pitch.

A handily placed sandpit.

The ultras (and Wormatia’s 150) did their best, but, as you can imagine, you’re blowing into the wind in a stadium about 10% full with no roofs over the terraces and an athletics track. But as a place to see a game, while the weather still holds, it’s an absolute treat. I’m not surprised it’s the favourite stadium of a Carl Zeiss Jena groundhopper who I spoke to last week.

Overgrown and underused...the terraces.

At full time though, I had to dash. I needed to wash my clothes and the launderette closed at 11pm. Yes, I’d brought my dirty laundry to the match. Another first. Oh, and I discovered Saarbrucken’s red light district while my clothes completed their cycle. I knew there was something amiss when I saw a bar containing nought but provocatively-dressed women…(I’m since led to believe the ladies are popular with the French, as the border is close by. Handy.)

He's always been my favourite player too!

The Damage: 
€9 ent 
€2.90 beer (x3); Bitburger 400ml.
€2.50 wurst
= €20.20 (£17)

The Tunes:
Rubycon
(Tangerine Dream)
Maasterpieces (Timo Maas)
William Bloke (Billy Bragg)
Lovelife (Lush)
Carmina Burana (Carl Orff)


The ticket booths.

Looking toward the Main Stand.

Behind the goal.

The scoreboard.

The Wormatia 150 (far corner).

The teams are led out.

The ultras, snuggled in nicely.

The view from the beer stand.

Filling in the sink hole.

Ultras' banners.

Note the paddock in front of the seats.

VIP Bridge (no plebs allowed).

From the Main Stand.

The Main Stand

Match action.

Such a shame, nearly 31,000 empty spaces.

Full time.

I really must leave...

...but it's such a magical old stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...