Sunday 9 August 2015

GKS Katowice 0-1 Zagłębie Sosnowiec, Saturday 8th August 2015

GKS Katowice 0-1 Zagłębie Sosnowiec (att. 6,700)

lemme in, lemme in.

I’d done my homework. I knew Gornik Zabrze kicked off at 14:30 or 15:30 (it was the latter) and GKS kicked off at 18:00 or 19:00. So I presumed it was the latter (I put my uncertainty of kick-off times down to the difference between GMT/CET. Obviously, if one was the later time, QED, so would the other.) You can see where this is going.
Get your tickets here.

I caught a train from Zabrze to Katowice Zaleze and walked. Cross the line, head up ‘Bracka’ and keep going. When I arrived at the stadium, I saw some fans on top of the fence, or looking through the gates. Was the game a sell out? For a 2nd division game? No, I could see some empty seats in the large stand to my right. Another fan staggered past me. Too drunk to be allowed in? Anyway, the ticket booth was still open and even better, no queue.

The Main Stand

I gained my GKS membership (take your passport with you to Polish games) and match ticket. 25 zloty or four pounds and some pence. I went straight into the stand (‘you can sit anywhere’). Everyone seemed to be wearing yellow while the team wore white. The match was already in full swing. To cut a story short, I didn’t realise how much of the game I’d missed and that it was actually the SECOND half. Realisation dawned on me when I went to beat the half time rush and visit the souvenir stall I’d seen earlier, only to find them packing up. I hurried back to catch the last few minutes.

Functional not pretty.

The stadium is a bit of a throwback. I don’t think it’s changed since England played here in the 80s. There is still the semblance of an athletics track at one end, with a small terrace (now closed) behind it. On here sits the oak trees (!) of Beech Street. At the opposite end is a small terrace presumably built on top of the old athletics track. I can’t see it hosting another international anytime soon.

The unused home terrace.

I was in the main stand, a steep, large, single-tier which dominates the ground. I don’t know when it was built but it’s definitely seen better days. The ultras were on the longside opposite, a smallish terrace given over to seats. Nobody was sitting. At one point it looked like the entire stand was awash with flags. Then the flags came down and the flares were lit. Loads of them, fantastically co-ordinated. The tannoy announcer came alive. Second time in a day (after Gornik Zabrze earlier). This must be how they escape punishment. ‘We searched them when they came in and we told them they shouldn’t do it, but what can we do?’


The flares are lit.

This was the cue for the away fans to start chucking flares AT the fans in that stand. No harm done, they fell just short. No wonder 1/3 of that stand lay empty. It’s almost like they knew. The away support continued to hurl objects at the police and upturn a portaloo before returning to their terrace. Who were these badboys? It was none other than Zagłębie Sosnowiec. Who? Turns out it’s a local derby, though I’d already sussed the away following of 1,000+ was uncommonly numerous for a Polish second division game.

Flares thrown from the away end.

The masked ultras would throw their missile then retreat into the mass. Most of their number wore black. The police simply stood their ground. Waiting for them to run out of ammo? Needless to say, the away fans were kept inside at full time while the home fans were dispersed. This was no great chore; they were celebrating. I hadn’t seen a goal in the second half (though plenty of GKS possession) but the way Zagłębie celebrated, I presume they won. It was a bit OTT if the result was anything else.

The inquests begin...

Afterwards I wandered through Park Slaski, next door. What a place! It had a steam train, a (small) rollercoaster, bars, all sorts. As well as, tonight only, a free rock concert. If noodly guitaring by long haired middle aged men is your thang, this is ya place. Or you could continue walking and see how Stadion Slaski (the old national stadium) is developing from an open bowl of 100,000 to the ultra modern stadium Poland is full of since Euro 2012.


The Damage:
PLZ 25 ent
= PLZ 25 (£4)

The flags are held aloft...
...before the flares are lit
until...
most of the stand looks on fire
sorry, ALL of the stand.
A bit more laidback in the Main Stand.
Looking towards the away end.
Female cheerleaders in front of the kids' section.
More trouble in the away end.
Some homesters itching for a quick getaway.
The stand cools down.
GKS's partner club in the Czech Republic.  Nice touch.
The sun sets over GKS.
The yellow hordes file out at full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...