Wednesday 10 August 2016

Rot-Weiss Oberhausen 0-2 Alemannia Aachen, Tuesday 9th August 2016


Rot-Weiss Oberhausen 0-2 Alemannia Aachen, att. 2,922 (regionalliga west)

Welcome to ...

I think I’ve made a new friend.  At my age.  Having mused for some considerable time over why Rot-Weiss only have 3 floodlight pylons, I decided to ask some random.  ‘Excuse me, do you speak English?’ I asked.  ‘Errrr…yes’ (cos they’re never quite confident enough to say ‘OF COURSE I DO!’, even when they’re fluent.  He didn’t know.  He was Dutch, on his own and liked visiting different grounds to watch football.  And as it transpired, business brought him to Oberhausen on business.  Great minds think alike…

Stadium plan.

Oberhausen.  Rot-Weiss Oberhausen.  Another team I’d wanted to visit for a while.  Yet the reason I wanted to go is probably one of the reasons they are where they are in the regionalliga west.  The stadium has barely changed in 40 years.  There is an athletics track (née speedway track; I’ve seen the photos) and single tier stands on either touchline, with open terraces curved around the ends.  Proper old school.  In opposition, and opposite, are Alemannia Aachen, who find themselves in the same league because of overspending, primarily on a spanking new 32,000 stadium.  So they have one thing in common, both being declared bankrupt, or as near to, in recent times.  

On the right track...

Previously mainstays of Bundesliga 2, this is some comedown for the pair.  RW in particular are in a pickle.  So close to Dortmund and Gelsenkirchen, nevermind the 6 minute train journey to Bundesliga 2 Duisburg, they’re a ruhrgebiet side left behind, chasing the good old days of the 1950s when their stadium was full (Wolverhampton Wanderers, without the new stadium?)

Outside the walls.

 Another dream I’ve never had, which happened today, was to ‘high five’ someone dressed in a dog costume.  Pre-match, the RW mascot ‘Underdog’ (!!) came toward me.  I couldn’t leave him (her?) hanging.  I feel there is nothing more for me to achieve on this earth.

Underdog.  That really happened, right?

 Earlier, it was a bit of a walk to the stadium.  Problies going to Duisburg is quicker.  But you WILL be rewarded.  It might be 2 miles or more, and it might take the best part of 45 minutes if you do direct, but you will (should!) encounter Schloss Oberhausen.  Not quite the castles of Bavaria, or England, but nonetheless, it had an exhibition of Marlene Dietrich and the Nazis.  ‘When I’m good I’m good, but when I’m bad I’m better.’  (Marlene Dietrich, not the Nazis.)  Even more thrilling, next door there’s a park, with various animals…goats, sheep, rabbits, deer…wolves (!)…lynx (!!) and all for free.

You lookin' at me?

 From the animal park, across the canal from the stadium, came the noise of the Aachen fans arriving, closely followed by several police fans.  So I was in the right vicinity.  I crossed a footbridge (not recorded on the map given to me at Tourist Info) which was cleverly designed based on a ‘slinky’.  It rocks – literally.

 At the stadium, I realise I must be the only person who doesn’t know ‘Rot-Weiss’ play in red and white.  I was familiar with their badge (a green four leaf clover) and always presumed they played in green.  Sometimes, my brain just does not compute.

The Slinky bridge.

After a little look in the club shop (a portacabin behind the main stand) I grabbed a beer.  The wurst queue was too long.  I’d return with an appetite.  Then it was up the steps to the terrace.  My ticket said Block I, but in reality, you could stand anywhere.  Many were congregated under the roof extension of the main stand.  I presumed these would be their ultras, so I followed the curve and stood opposite – next to their actual ultras.  Generously, the club had ripped out some seats in this stand to allow the ultras to be under the roof.  I can imagine this being preferable to being stuck in the open in an Oberhausen winter.  There were probably about 200 of them, though they largely gave up in the second half, even before RW were losing.

Definitely not the ultras.

 The Aachen fans were given half the terrace behind the other goal and I’d say there were 1500, or about half the crowd.  One good thing about sliding down the leagues in Germany is that it’s not very long before every game is virtually a derby.  Aachen’s fans made noise most of the game and beat their hosts 7-2 on flags.  I think that’s where the game was won, not the two throughballs and identical finishes which Aachen scored late on. 

Looking towards the Aachen fans.

As the full time whistle went, I heard the first demands for the coach to be sacked (RW have lost 3 out of 3 without scoring).  We are not even halfway through August.  More importantly though, why do RW only have 3 floodlights?  (Oh, and I’ve been invited by my new Dutch buddy to come and see Go Ahead Eagles next week.  I’m there.)

The Damage:€8.50
€3 beer x3
€3 wurst
€2 badge
= €22.50

The Tunes:
The Digging Remedy (Plaid)
Lady’s Bridge (Richard Hawley)
Truelove’s Gutter (Richard Hawley)
Live At The Social Vol. 1 (Chemical Brothers / Various)
Knee Deep In The North Sea (Portico Quartet)
Late Night Tales (Nils Frahm)

Behind the goal panorama.

Aachen fans enter the stadium.

Back of the terrace, towards the Main Stand.

Back of the terrace, towards the curve.

From the curve to the Main Stand.

One of the three.

Looking toward the ultras.

On the back straight.

The Main Stand.

From a distance...match action.

The ultras.

Behind the goal.

One day these seats will be used.

A stand of two halves.

Sunset over Stadion Niederrhein.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...