Monday 24 July 2017

England Ladies 2-0 Spain Ladies, Sunday 23rd July 2017

England Ladies 2-0 Spain Ladies (Rat Verlegh Stadium, Breda, att. 4,879)


Welcome to .....

At half time I was thoroughly depressed.  My plane had arrived late, the stadium was miles from anywhere, the ‘every quarter of an hour’ free bus had taken over half an hour to arrive, I'd missed kick off and it was p***ing it down. England were winning 1-0 but that was no matter.  I'd missed the goal.  Of more importance was my lack of a bed.  I'd planned to camp but given the nature of the torrential I thought better of it.  Thank goodness for the mobile phone and internet access.  A few minutes later I had a hostel booked in Rotterdam (about 20 minutes train ride away).

That's not fog, it's RAIN.

I'd come to the Women's Euros on a whim.  I can't say I'm the biggest fan of female  football (especially not after this match) but it was an opportunity to visit a few new stadia: Breda, Utrecht, Tilburg and Sparta Rotterdam.  Also, with The Netherlands being so small, travel is easy.  Mind, I’d been looking forward to lazing by a campsite swimming pool for a few days, imagining the weather would be something approaching summer.  This was a misguidance of a biblical nature.

England in the rain wasn't a big draw...

Handily, England was my first match up so that should engender some interest.  Sadly, due to the aforementioned wait, I, along with the Keele University women's team, arrived at the stadium in time to hear the cheer.  One nil England.  Another loud cheer before we got in was a second, apparently disallowed for no reason.  The Rat Verlegh Stadium epitomised the gloom.  From the outside, a depressing block of metal and concrete which hadn’t aged well since whenever it was built. The 1970s?  Good views, but that’s about the best I can say about it.

About as cheerful as it got.

Once inside, I found myself below pitch level in some kind of moat. This didn’tt augur well for my streak later (kidding).  I sat at one end near the corner flag, despite having the pick of the seats.  The stand to my left looked vaguely full, mainly England.  There were a few Spanish at the far end of the same stand, while on the nearside, a couple of middle-aged locals banged drums.  I'm not quite sure why I thought they were local but the constant dull thud with varying levels of audience participation became a trawl very quickly.

This will get the atmosphere going.

Maybe it was the match?  Or the weather? Or both?  More than once came the deluge. I think that was England's excuse for never being able to control a ball.  (I must note here, the first time I'd seen a womens’ match I was very impressed with their skill, so to see our national side fumble and miscontrol the ball endlessly put a more positive slant on my own abilities. Spain dominated possession, nearly 80%, but the same pattern developed.  Spain would go sideways, sideways, forwards, have a (wo)man on, go backwards again, start again.  (BTW, what DO women shout when someone is about to be marked? ‘Man on’?)

At least one side is busy.

More than once Spain had numbers out wide, but when they weren't knocking it back and starting again they were chipping it in for giant England centre halves to head clear.  I couldn't understand why they didn't simply drill some low balls across the box especially given England's penchant for the slice.

Prisoner: Cell Block H.  The away end at Breda.

England's game plan hinged on the opposite, trying to find a killer pass within 2 or 3 touches, whereupon the whole charade would repeat itself.  God it was boring.  Then, LIFE!  Spain whipped a ball in from the left (finally!) and an England player slipped, slicing the ball smack into her palm.  Hurrah!  Penalty!  I need to work on my patriotism.  But no, the players trot to the halfway line and the referee starts with a drop ball to the keeper.  Actually, I couldn't get my head around that.  I think the ref was dropping it for the keeper to take a free kick.  Foul by the rain?

Plenty of England flags

By now I was high up behind the goal, a downpour driving fans higher up into the seats.  It seemed an even mix of locals and English, with occasional chants of ‘NAC, NAC’ (the local team) breaking out to alleviate the England chants and those cardboard things what Leicester City fans whack to make noise.

Match action.

I was still thoroughly bored, but figured I couldn’t leave early as the buses wouldn’t be going back to the station till full-time. I’d not had anything to eat either, as I needed to put money on a card, etc. No thanks.  So I was still a right grumpy sour puss when England sealed it, the ball somehow breaking loose on the edge of the box for the centre forward to dink it into the bottom left.  A cool finish entirely out of keeping with the rest of England’s game. If this is as good as supporting England’s women gets…

The Damage:
€10 ent

The media.

Footnote:  I was slightly cheered up the next day.  Turns out I shared a room in the hostel with the brother of Scotland’s left back (Hi Jake!) and he talked very passionately of women's football, albeit a team who’d lost by 6 to England a few days earlier.  In the evening I also saw Belgium v Holland on the big screen in the Rotterdam fanzone and that really was a game full of skill and excitement, so I'll give the tournament a chance and not do Plan B: InterRail after some Champions League / Europa League qualifiers.  That’s NEXT week!

Rat Verlegh panorama...in a rare moment of sunshine.

Looking towards the main stand.

The Rat Verlegh 'moat'.

The man himself...Rat Verlegh.

The Main Event.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...