Thursday 27 July 2017

Iceland Ladies 0-3 Austria Ladies, Wednesday 26th July 2017

Iceland Ladies 0-3 Austria Ladies (Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel, Rotterdam, att. 4,893)

Welcome to ....

There can't be many folk have walked to both ‘De Kuip’ (home of Feyenoord) and Het Kasteel (Sparta Rotterdam) in the same day, but void of any other ideas I thought why not? I've always wanted to see a game at De Kuip and though it couldn't happen this time it was nice to at least see it, though don't walk there, it's too far and once you've crossed the Erasmus Bridge there's not a lot to see.  After a circumference of the stadium, I caught a tram back to town.

Feyenoord's cathedral.

 The centre of Rotterdam seemed awash with Icelandics, keen to follow up last summer's adventures with the men.  The fanzone was busy with a multitude of games laid out for the kids.  Least that's who was playing.  I’d have fancied a game on their ‘football pool’.  I even saw a couple of Austrians.  The Icelandics though had come in numbers and who knows how many families had made the Netherlands their holiday of choice this summer?

Football pool.  Kids have all the fun.

 With time on my hands and a yearning to see the old port of Delfshaven, I decided to walk to Sparta Stadium (‘Het Kasteel’) through a park, over canals and passing the Euromast, Holland tallest building.  I even managed not to go wrong this time, following the canal till I could see the floodlights.  All I needed now was a deluge of rain and a bridge to stand under to start drinking the can of beer I brought (Franziskaner).

An inauspicious 1st view.

Deluge over, I headed to the stadium where I still had an hour to kill.  I walked around, passing four or five policemen before a couple more pulled me over for drinking in the street.  ‘It's ok it's just not allowed’(!)  I was allowed to finish it as long as I didn't go wandering off with it in hand.  

I was also able to finally see Sparta’s legendary castle entrance, though the effect was somewhat ruined (enhanced?) by the addition of the local municipality’s refuse trucks being parked outside.  The police asked me why I was taking pics of the trucks.  ‘I wasn't.  I was taking a photo of the entrance and if you could possibly arrange for the removal of the trucks I'd be much obliged.’  I think they realised I wasn't a threat to government security, though they did ask to see my match ticket.

Sparta's grand entrance.  Plus dustbin wagons.

As well as ‘Het Kasteel’, Sparta used to have a massive 10,000-seater stand down one side, but since redevelopment, this has gone, to be replaced by a smaller stand in keeping with the rest of the stadium, now a tidy all-seater, all covered, stadium of 11,000.  The charm of ‘Het Kasteel’ is exaggerated by the ‘Het Kasteel’ itself splitting a stand in two.  Once upon a time, this was behind the goal, but since redevelopment, the pitch has been turned 90° and the Het Kasteel sits proudly on the halfway line.

Het Kasteel splits the stands.

Tonite, Iceland had gathered behind one goal and one side of Het Kasteel, while Austria had the other.  I'd say the Austrians were outnumbered three or four to one in a crowd of 5000 and I can now say I've taken part in an ‘Icelandic thunderclap’.  Be careful to hear the drum beat.  Not ones to over egg the pudding, it was only once each half.  Perfect.

The Iceland thunderclap!


Iceland fans.

Otherwise, I was sure I was sat two rows behind Jonny Lee Miller 20 years ago.  I presume he was in Holland looking for his mate Rents, who’d nicked all his cash in Trainspotting.  Anyway, he was obviously a big Iceland fan cos he spoke the lingo, knew all the chants and wore the stars and stripes as a wrist bandana.  (Is ‘wrist bandana’ a thing?)

Unfortunately, went the day badly for Iceland.  Austria had a number of shots saved then when the keeper had weathered the storm she dropped an innocuous cross for an Austrian to head in on the rebound.  Two days in a row I've seen a keeper f*** up.  Despite another outstanding save, a scramble lead to a close range second.  Game over.

The Exec box side.

Iceland tried to threaten second half, but they were clearly inferior to the bright Austrians who were to claim top berth in the four team group.  Indeed, Austria had the last say, a rebound tapped home following another save.

All that was left was the acclaim, Iceland coming to the corner to give thanks, while the Austrians jumped around together.  I caught a bus back.  Sadly no shuttle buses a la Breda.   I asked the policeman and he pointed me to a bus stop on a nearby bridge.  €3.  Travel is not cheap in Rotterdam but at least I was able to procure a €3 hot dog in the stadium.  However, I was unable to pay with my women's EURO 2017 payment card (current balance €10.50).  This is why I hate these damn cards.  You are left with money on them you'll never use

The teams are paraded.

The Damage:
€10 ent
€3 hotdog
€3 travel
= €16

The Tunes:
The Libertines (The Libertines)
Different Class (Pulp)
DJ Kicks (Daniel Avery)
Milk and Kisses (Cocteau Twins)
Careless Love (Madeleine Peyroux)

Het Kasteel panorama.


Human table football.

Only in Holland...

Welcome to ....(II)

Het Kasteel

Only one thing ruins it...

The main stand.

Match action.

It sheets it down again.

Goalmouth scramble.

The view from behind the goal.

Full-time.  Spot the winners.

Iceland come over to acknowledge their support.

1888: Sparta are formed (oldest professional team in the Netherlands).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...