Wednesday 9 August 2017

Benesov 1-5 Bohemians Prague, Tuesday 8th August 2017

Benesov 1-5 Bohemians Prague (Czech Cup 2nd Round, att. c800)

Welcome to ...

While researching which Czech cup game I fancied going to (I didn't want to be far from Prague) I hit on Benesov, about 25 miles south.  Plus they were playing Bohemians, a side I have fondness for, based on a previous visit to their legendary Dolicek stadium.  Further digging showed Benesov was not simply a non descript Czech town of 27000 inhabitants (even if it was).  It was also the final home of Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire and whose assassination sparked World War 1.

Konopiste, home of Franz Ferdinand.

Franz’s (we’re on first name terms) old palace was at Konopiste, a couple of kilometres up the hill from Benesov.  I HAD to visit, so I was there early (kick-off wasn't until 5:30).  While the palace was par for the course, what set Franz apart from the rest was his indefatigable passion for hunting.  I'm sure the guide said he killed 274,000 animals.  If he died at 51…and let’s say he started at 11…that’s 40 years….that’d be nearly 7,000 per year…or 20 a day.  Surely not?  Mind, the area around his palace was used for hunting and he also managed the odd exotic specimen on trips to the likes of India and Nepal.  Anyway, many are stuffed and hung up in a spectacular corridor of ‘prizes’.  Makes me less sympathetic what Gavrilo Princip did to him.  He who lives by the sword…

Franz's pride and joy.

SK Benesov’s stadium is at the bottom of the park the palace is in.  Perfect, or so I thought.  What Google didn't tell me was I have to cross a busy two lane A road, which was hair-raising.  It was very annoying knowing I was approximately 100m from the stadium but there were no crossing points on this road.  Still you're never too old for a game of ‘chicken’.  Not nice.

At the stadium, everyone passed through one turnstile, 100 crowns.  Bargain.  There was a fair turnout from Bohemians too, at least half the crowd.  Considering it was a 5:30 kick off, when do these Czechs knock off?  I trust they start early…

A busy main stand.

The stadium has an older main stand, complete with pillars tastefully painted in the home side’s yellow and blue colours.  Below is a small terrace which curves around either end. Opposite the main stand is an open stand, only half of which has been populated with seats. Many Bohemians, including the ultras, chose to go this side despite the heat and having the sun's rays in their eyes.  However, it was tight to the touchline while the main stand was some way from the pitch.  Perhaps the stadium had a running track at some point?

Bohemians' ultras.

I grabbed a beer and went in the main stand, back row.  I was early enough to have the pick (most fans were milling around on the terraces).  Despite the pillars, I could see both sets of goalposts.  This was handy as Bohemians were scoring from the start.

It was 0-2 early on and 0-3 by half-time.  Probably my favourite was when a Benesov defender kicked it off the line only for it to rebound off his own player and into the net.   I went for a beer and klobasa (sausage), timing it well (the queue became huge) or  timing it badly (I missed the 3rd).

Klobasa preparations.

Second half, I decided to walk around the stadium and sit in the sun.  Turns out I wasn't the only Brit here, as I eavesdropped on 4 Scottish lads.  I wonder if they made it to Kronopiste?  They certainly knew their stuff on stadia, but all this slowly being cooked does nothing for me and I had to leave for the shade again - but not before the ref gave a generous penalty to the home side.  He then ordered a retake, seemingly cos the player skied it (tho he booked the goalkeeper for something or other). The retake was put away.

Penalty #1.  Spot the ball.

Penalty #2.  Much better.

The pen was no’ but a consolation though in a 1-5 rout.  The Bohemians players then stood gracefully while their ultras serenaded them (the ultras made noise all game, nothing from Benesov).  I shared a train carriage back to Prague with a few of them and boisterous it was too, despite the 4 police we had for company.  The train must also have returned via Bohemians territory, as the vast majority got off the stop before the main station.  A great day out!

Gladiators, we salute you!

The Damage:
CHK 100 ent
CHK 60 klobasa
CHK 30 beer (x2)

The Tunes:
Fabric 84 (Mathew Jonson)

Slowdive (Slowdive)
Mixmag Jul15 (Adam Beyer and Ida Engberg)

SK Benesov panorama from the entrance.

SK Benesov panorama from the open side.

SK Benesov panorama from the Main Stand.
Looking towards the Main Stand.

Front of Main Stand.

The players' tunnel (the gates slide along to block spectators).

Bohemians come out for the warm-up.

The sides come out.

The players line up.

The scoreboard (if you look carefully enough).

The cameraman views events.

Making use of dead space...cars behind the goal.

Fans relax at half-time.

Bohemians on the open side.

The skeleton of a stand.

Entered by bridges...

This is the life...not sure about the shoes tho.

The terrace disappears.

Action in front of the Main Stand.

Fans up against the fence surrounding the pitch.

The host's bench.

I spy...a team coach!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...