Sunday 13 August 2017

Wisla Krakow 2-1 Cracovia, Saturday 12th August 2017

Wisla Krakow 2-1 Cracovia (Ekstraklasa, att. 25,523)

Welcome to...a model of the stadium.

The Krakow Derby.  I’d been looking forward to this one.  Having seen various Polish matches, and enjoyed the atmospheres they often entail, as well as seeing YouTube footage of previous Krakow derby games, I hoped and expected (literal) fireworks.  I was to be disappointed.

Looking towards the Main Stand.

Whilst not exactly helping the situation by getting there after kick-off, I never saw a flare or a banner in the crowd all night.  I did though see a Wisla fan with a T-shirt depicting a Jew in Cracovia colours with a line drawn through him.  This in the city of Schindler's factory.  That is not to say the crowd were quiet.  The home end in particular got behind the team or insulted Cracovia.  No, the main problem was there weren't any away fans.  In a derby.  Why not?

Charming.

Cracovia took the lead in the 20th minute.  I didn't see it coming and nor did I see it being scored.  I was looking at the crowd.  Even their reaction confused me as I thought Wisla had misplaced a pass.  I also thought this would be good for the game, Cracovia being underdogs and all.  The match then died a death till the 70th minute.  Wisla were devoid of creativity and though having more possession, looked the less likely to score.  The crowd were becoming increasingly tense.

Worried Wisla fans.

Then a lifeline.  A foul on the halfway line and the ref decides to brandish a yellow card. Harsh, I thought.  He'd forgiven worse.  Unfortunately, it was this guy's second and he was off.  Again, great for the game, if not for Cracovia.  Within a few minutes Wisla had equalised.  Carlos Lopez (great Polish name) dribbles through two players and drives it past the keeper.  Class.  Could Cracovia hold out?

The home end gets behind their team.

Well, despite their players collapsing every time they were tackled, no.  In the last minute of normal time, a low cross was whipped in from the left and that man Lopez got his studs to it for another lethal finish.  Wisla had pinched it at the last.  With no away fans, everyone was happy.

Cracovia's keeper comes up in last-ditch desperation.

I’d bought my ticket in person a few days previous.  Having witnessed first hand the madness of the home end on a previous visit, I went large: upper tier, by the side of the pitch.  I was determined to enjoy a sitdown.  Unfortunately, the stadium is harder to find in the dark, with a miniscule map, restricted lighting and no internet on my phone.  Thus, arriving late, I couldn't get to my seat for fans standing in the way.  I ended up perched in the aisle itself, standing, but with a great view.

Final score.

At half time I went for my second klobasa (sausage) and beer but all the hot food had run out and I was one of the first on the concourse, given position near the exit.  Not to worry, my diet has been very poor of late, consisting only of pastries, and sausages, and beer.  How long does it take to get scurvy? Or rickets?

Cracovia prepared to defend a free kick in front of an empty away end.

Things have changed in terms of the stadium compared to my last visit 9 years ago, when I chanced upon a Champions League qualifier when visiting Krakow. Back then, the main stand was mostly open to the elements, while the opposite tribune (which I was in tonight) simply wasn't there, it's predecessor having been knocked down and removed.   I'd show you the pics if they hadn't accidentally been deleted by work (b*stards).

The players (and dragon) give thanks.

Nowadays, both sides are twp-tiered while behind the goals both stands are one tier, though the stands merge together apart from the corner between the away fans and the main stand, where some ugly office block is situated (probably containing the police control room).  From the inside, the stadium is a smart, modern 33,000 capacity venue.However, the outside of the stadium already looks tired and in need of a spruce-up.

The Damage:
PLZ 55 ent.  (The cheapest were PLZ 40.)
PLZ 10 klobasa
PLZ 8 beer (x2)
= PLZ 81


Match panorama

After-match panorma

Looking towards the away corner.

A dragon waves a flag.

The attendance is announced.

Front of the home end.

The Main Stand.

Looking toward the home end at full-time.

I love the little corner extension!

Closer up.

Lower tier and exec boxes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...