Sunday 6 August 2017

Sigma Olomouc 2-1 Slovan Liberec, Saturday 5th August 2017

Sigma Olomouc 2-1 Slovan Liberec (Czech Liga, att. 3,731)

Welcome to ...

Another day, another delayed train, another missed connection, another missed kick off.  And things were going so well.  The train to Prague was on time till it pulled in at Holesovice and about 10 menacing policeman piled into the next carriage.  About eight men were arrested and forced to line up on the platform, hands behind their backs.  I suspect a gang of robbers.  Oh, and then the train to Olomouc was delayed.  Of course it was.  I thought it would be difficult enough arriving 1 hour 20 minutes before kickoff, nevermind 10 minutes.

Match sustenance, Czech-style.

I took the decision to put my belongings in a locker, though I knew my route would virtually take me past my hostel (which was one of the best I've ever seen, by the way, ‘Long Story Short’ was more like a boutique hotel).  So I put my stuff in a locker.  80 Czech crowns.  Fine.  I have 80.  10….20….50.  Oh s***.  It doesn't take 50s.  A lady comes up and explains in Czech.  Worse, it won't give me back my 10 and 20.  ‘Change?’ the lady asks.  My maid in shining armour, as she fishes in her purse and finds me the requisite tens and twenties.  This is a godsend when I'm late already.

Ticket booths at the entrance.

The Andruv stadion is a gem, one of the quirkiest I've ever been to.  I'd seen it on a previous visit to Olomouc and thought I MUST see a game there.  You'll know it when you see it.  There's little to say about the side stands, though the main stand is a little more modern.  My ticket was for the lower tier of the main stand, in an uncovered extension on the end. 

Main Stand and extension.

To my right was a steep one tier stand with 3 floors of executive boxes / flats above.  When I was here before I thought the complex was a hotel but I don't think so.  The steepness of the rake gives a fantastic view which was where I was second half, there being no segregation between this and the main stand.  However, compared to the main stand it was criminally underpopulated, 75% of the crowd if not more were in the main stand, possibly due to the shade it afforded and the sun not being in spectators’ eyes. 

Wow!

Opposite the main stand was where the Sigma ultras hung out, all 50 of them (if that).  They were unique from similar groups by having a drummer who was sat down and why not?  Also, they had the biggest, fattest, cheerleader you could find anywhere.  He was huge, and, like the drummer, occasionally took time out to sit down while roaring the crowd on.

Sigma ultras.

The far end holds another bizarre stand.  It is another very steep stand curved at the back. Where I was sat opposite was high, but the central part of this other stand is twice the height. It's also open to the elements but is brightened by the pattern of the seats.  In a crowd of 3000 this stand wasn't even open.  I was surprised to see the stadium’s capacity as 12,500 as it looks a lot more to me.

Beautiful.

The stadium is easy to find, being next to the small city centre.  Only problem is the city centre is a good 20 minute walk from the railway station, so I missed half an hour of the game, including the first goal, 1-0.  At least the ticket booths were still open.  CHK150. Bargain, I presumed.  I didn't know how many Czech crowns to the pound.

The drummer takes a turn.

Once I was in, it was the important things first:  toilet, beer,klobasa (sausage).  Then I took my seat and watched the action.  It may have been blisteringly hot, but there was enough activity on the pitch.  When the ref didn't blow his whistle for 5 minutes, it was evidence of his ability to play the advantage, rather than any reluctance to tackle.  In at break, one-nil.  Time for another beer.

Match action, second half.

Sigma continued to look the better side in the second half and spurned chances to extend their lead.  Then, the Slovan centre half strolled out of defence with the ball (and I mean stroll).  Everyone backed off, waiting for the pass, and he just hit a shot to nothing from AT LEAST 30 yards.  It arrowed into the net, to the keeper's right.  You can't be conceding from there, though he did hit it well.  The away end (all 40 of them) jumped around and could finally be heard.

The away end.

Had Sigma thrown it away?  Well, no.  They won it with a header, as the scorer blatantly pushed the defender so he went under the ball, allowing the chance.  To be fair to the ref and linesman, they didn't have the view I had.  The scorer showed no remorse in his celebrations.

So, 2-1 and only a trip to the souvenir shop left.  There was a decent choice too, my star finds being a couple of postcards of the stadium, which were free.

Full-time.

The Damage:
CHK 150 ent
CHK 20 prog
CHK 100 badge
CHK 40 klobasa
CHK 30 beer (x2); Gambrinus, 500ml.
Free postcards
= CHK 370

The Tunes:
DJ Kicks (Maya Jane Coles)
DJ Kicks (Tiga)
DJ Kicks (Kruder and Dorfmeister)


Andruv panorama, from the Main Stand side.

Andruv panorama, from behind the goal.

The Main Stand.

Tribuna Jih.

Tribuna Zapad.

Tribuna Vychod.

A bird's eye view.

Looking towards the away end.

Welcome to ....(II)

Welcome to ...(III)

Where I sat 1st half.

Sigma floodlights

From the back row, looking towards the Main Stand.

Fans salute their heroes at full-time.

More 'pavillion' than 'stand'.

Looking up, again.

The view from the front.

The Main Stand from pitchside.

Tight space behind the goal.

Back of the Main Stand.

I spy a team bus...

Bar behind the Main Stand.

Back of the Tribuna Sever.

Tribuna Sever and floodlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...