Saturday 12 August 2017

GKS Katowice 1-2 Puszcza Niepolomice, Friday 11th August 2017

GKS Katowice 1-2 Puszcza Niepolomice (Polish 1.liga, att. 1,750)


The stadium from the training pitch.

I know how to treat myself.  Up at 6 to visit Auschwitz, followed by a game in the evening.  This was a second tier fixture involving GKS Katowice an, extremely underachieving side surrounded by more illustrious local provincial sites such as Ruch Chowzow and Gornik Zabrze.  I’d been before, so finding the stadium was easy, one stop from Katowice railway station to Katowice Zaleze ,then turn right, under the tracks, and up the hill.  There is a tram stop much closer to the stadium which I got on my return though.

The Main Stand.

The last time I was here, the away fans (local rivals Zaglebie Sosnowiec) were throwing flares at the home supporters and up turning portaloos.  Tonight promised to be much calmer, as the away side, Puszcza Niepolomice, didn't even seem to have any support.  I've never heard of them.  Is it some village hundreds of miles away?  (According to Wikipedia it is a town of 14,700, somewhere near Krakow….and it’s claim to fame is in being the 15th most polluted city of the European Union, according to the World Health Organisation.  Blimey.)

The away end.  Sparse.

With an hour or so to kick off the ticket booths weren't busy.  I gave them my passport and came out with a ticket in the main stand, no doubt the best view as the older stand opposite is simply seats on terrace under a beam-laden roof.  Behind one goal is a small open stand for the visitors, while the opposite end still has the curved terrace of yesteryear (though it's sadly closed).  The oak tree which gives the stadium its name (‘stadion ul. Bukowa’ or ‘Beech Street Stadium’ – go figure) is still there.

The oak trees of Beech Street Stadium.

I filled my time with a walk through Park Slaski to see how Stadion Slaski (formerly the national team’s main stadium) is coming along.  It was nearly finished when I was last here a couple of years ago.  I was also intrigued.  Google described it as permanently closed.  Did it mean the old knocked down stadium?Cos surely you don't spend the amount of money they (who are they?) have on a replacement without intending to use it.  To cut it short the stadium looks built, the roads around it needing a finishing touch.

Stadion Slaski...nearly there?

After that walk I was really tired and grateful of a seat and good view.  The stand at GKS was fairly busy, while the ultras in the stand opposite had dwindled in number somewhat since I was last here.  They were still in good voice and there were a couple of calls and response with the main stand.  They were also full of cheer when they took the lead, a cross being blocked straight into the path of the centre forward who side footed first time into an empty net.

The view from the Main Stand.

Oh, I nearly forgot.  I'd brought my klobasa (sausage) and beer to my seat, delicately balancing my bread roll.  Inevitably, as I bit into my sausage, the roll rolled off and underneath a seat.  Seeing my disappointment, a fellow fan dug underneath to pick it up. 5 second rule, right?  After a rub down it was ready to eat again.

A fan shows his colours.

I moved a few seats further back at halftime.  My second beer needed a higher perch and I was in the right place as GKS play became more rugged - I was in the heart of the cynical element, taking the p*** out of their team.  I got the impression they were almost pleased to see the villagers equalise with a 25 yarder.

The GKS ultras.

Worse was to come as Puszcza nicked a winner, a header from a left wing cross.  From now on, open mockery was the order of the day, in particular as GKS attempted to get back into the game by kicking the ball square or backwards. GKS never came close to levelling and the locals weren't happy.

Katowice'c chances deflate in front of a deserted terrace.

As is custom the home players made their way to the ultras to give thanks.  A small clap and most of the team beat a hasty retreat.  Two were braver (one was the captain, I think), conversing with the ultras.  I think they were being placatory rather than antagonistic. Whatever, the players came away shirtless.  Gifts?  Or not fit to wear them?

Players and fans exchange a few words.

One thing to note:  I’ve always wondered how the ultras in Poland have money to fund their fireworks and banners. A couple of youths came round collecting from the majority and I happily stuck in a few coins, for which I was given a a rather natty sticker.  Good on them (the ultras).  They provide the atmosphere and spectacle to which we all enjoy.

Ultras' donation present.


The Damage:
No idea – I didn’t write it down.  Cheap.

The Tunes:
Countdown 1992-1983 (Pulp)
Intro – The Gift Recordings (Pulp)

Ticket booth.

The view from behind the goal.

Some would rather stand.

An injured player is tended to.

The ultras.

Inside the Main Stand.

A winning player is interviewed.

A shirtless player returns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...