Wednesday 30 September 2020

Ryhope Community Association 4-0 Penrith, Tuesday 29th September 2020

Ryhope Community Association 4-0 Penrith, Ryhope Recreation Ground, Northern League Division 1, att. 146

Welcome to ...

With Lockdown due to hit County Durham and other areas of the north-east, I’m heading for Confusion Central: Ryhope.  Is it in Sunderland?  Or County Durham?  Or both?  Whose jurisdiction does it come under when the government are banning groups of more than 6 from mixing outdoors, or in?  Is that even the rule?  I dunno, I’m lost myself.  What I do know is that as of weekend gone, the Northern League had further reduced capacity for games from 300 to 150. 

The view upon entry.

This reduced my options somewhat.  As dad is still in hospital, I fancied an ‘outlier’, a Northern League ground far from my south-west Durham base.  Ashington looked good, but was sold out.  Understandable, given they’ve been selling out at 300.  The nearest team is Newton Aycliffe, and they never sell out (they did tonite) but I’m in no rush for that place.  Carlisle City looked a bit far (80 miles) if there were no guarantees of getting in….and besides, I’d rather visit on a Satdy, see a bit of the place.  So I plumped for Ryhope CA (not to be confused with Ryhope CW) on the edge of Sunderland and less than half an hour’s drive away.

Changing rooms.

It’s an odd little finish, driving through a brand new housing estate to get to the ground, but the website warned me in advance.  I drove into a small car park and was directed to a space they’d been holding for a Penrith fan who hadn’t arrived.  ‘But I can turn around and park in the housing estate’ I protested.  No, it was fine, they could still get him in (if he showed himself).  I was close to the entrance gate, which was great on the way in, less so on coming out and being penned in by another driver (who I think might have arrived just to pick a player up at full-time).

The Coronavirus one-way system.

I paid my 6 quid and was in.  The crowd was mainly split between either touchline, with both goals being quite sparse.  It looked very close to 150 (and indeed it was, 146, so I cut that fine).  One side housed the dugouts and fans leaning against the perimeter fence.  Ryhope had taped off every other advertising board to encourage social distancing.  There were no terraces on this side or behind the goals, but on the 4th side was the Main Stand, which was older than I expected, as well as a couple of steps of terracing under a scaffolding roof in one corner.  I was the only one standing here 1st half though, as fans made the most of it not raining.

The Main Stand.

I was under no illusions regarding the two teams.  Neither has ever won the Northern League and have never been great shakes.  However, Ryhope were bedazzling with some of their attacking play, particularly from wide areas and hit the woodwork three times.  The levy was breached in somewhat orthodox style with a great cross into the box and the big centre forward crashing home the header.  Unstoppable.  

The covered terrace adjacent.

That was it for the first half.  I was on the phone and not feeling it for a tea, though inbetween the Main Stand and the changing rooms was a bar (Defty’s?) and a few had a pint in hand, despite the temperatures.  I wandered behind the far goal, where the subs were warming up by missing the goal as often as possible.  I retrieved a ball, and hoofed it hard back…narrowly missing another spectator’s head.  I was either very good, or very lucky.  I didn’t kick another one back.

Behind the goal.

I settled at the net Penrith were kicking towards and for 10 or 15 minutes it was pretty even.  What had happened to Ryhope’s attacks?  However, feeling a goal was more likely at the other end, I walked around…and Ryhope engulfed the visitors with 3 goals in 10 minutes.  They were all cracking attacks or strikes too, again the wingers proving pivotal in outflanking Penrith.  I’ve seen Shildon win 5-0 and Consett 6-2, but you’d be hard-pressed to see a better front 3 at this level than Ryhope CA possess.

Looking toward the Main Stand.

It was full-time, I needed a wee, but thought I can wait…and found my car boxed in.  Great.  However, well done to the local pizza guy, who’d come bearing gifts for the players at full-time.  Now, THAT’S timing.  I’m not even sure the players are allowed a shower and change in this Covid-19 climate.  Or ‘unprecedented times’ as I’ve never stopped hearing on the radio and telly for 5 months.

Do not stand here (I).

The Damage:
£6 ent
= £6

The Tunes:
6 Music (Marc Riley/Gideon Coe)

PS, does every non-league team in the Sunderland area play in red and white stripes like their more illustrious neighbours?  Seaham did, and now it's Ryhope CA.  Anymore for anymore?

The Main Stand, showing the pitch slant.

Main Stand and covered terrace.

Looking toward the far end.

Supporters on the touchline.

Cordoned off benches.

Do not stand here (II).

Ryhope attack a corner.

The view from the entrance.

Tonite's main attraction.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...