Wednesday 16 September 2020

Seaham Red Star 2-6 Consett, Tuesday 15th September 2020

Seaham Red Star 2-6 Consett, Northern League Division 1, Seaham Town Park, att. 144


Welcome to ...

I’m up in the north-east for a prolonged period because my aged dad is having a few health problems.  One positive of this is that I’m able to visit places I’ve never been (Tow Law!) and watching sides I’ve never heard of (Sunderland West End anyone?)  Tonite it’s the turn of Seaham Red Star.  Dad is going to bed not long after tea these days…age?  Health?  Drugs?....and so once he’s in bed, I’m in the car and heading north-east.  (Seaham is north-east of Ferryhill.)

Everyone awaits a Seaham free kick.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Google has ever been to Seaham.  I reach the outer edges fine, before Google Maps takes me out of town and a tour of the fields.  So beware entering the postcode of the ground.  Far better sticking in ‘Seaham Red Star’.  It’s heard of them*.  I arrive 15 minutes after kick-off and park up in the rugby club next door.  There’s other cars parked there, but worryingly, a couple of gates.  These had better be open at full-time.  (One wasn’t; I got lucky - I was outside this gate.)

*despite the exotic name, they’re not named after anything vaguely political – though they may share certain views – but after the pub where they were formed in 1973.  A vintage year I’m sure you’ll all agree – I was born.  And for Sunderland fans, the last time they won anything of note.  Perhaps as a nod to the local Superclub, Seaham have come dressed as Sunderland, red and white stripes.  Anyway, from pub team to Northern League Division 1 in 15 years, which isn’t bad.

Miners' lodge banner in the clubhouse.

As I walked to the turnstile (singular) a cheer went up.  Through narrow gaps in the fence I could see the ball in the net at the far end.  Great, I’d missed a goal.  ‘Who scored?’ I asked.  ‘Seaham.  You’ve missed two other goals as well, it’s 2-1 to Consett.’  I didn’t believe the lady taking my contact details for Covid-19, so I asked the bloke who’d took my money.  Yes, it was true.  ‘Well don’t worry, I’ll soon put a stop to that.’  I did.  No more goals followed in the first half.

Inside the Main Stand.

I was recommended a trip to Seaham by the Boro fan I’d befriended at last week’s Tow Law game.  I want an old-style ground, I want terracing, I want a mish-mash of stands.  Yes, Seaham’s was perfect.  A decent sized terrace behind one goal (stretching half the length of the pitch) while opposite, no terracing, but a line of fir trees giving it an authentic enclosed look.  Also, handy for stopping those wild shots.  A small covered enclosure with terracing lay on one halfway line, while a massive clubhouse lay opposite.  I’d have liked a closer nose in as I was impressed with the copy of the old miners’ banner on the wall.  Once upon a time every mining lodge had one and I’m not too young to remember going to Durham Big Meeting under East Hetton’s banner (my grandad's pit).  

Looking towards the pitch.

Next to the clubhouse was a small stand, built in the old style with stanchions, low roof, wooden supports  and built of brick.  Although small, it was quite steep and offered a decent view were it not for my wanderlust.  I spent the first half just past the halfway line, nearest a few from Consett.  I don’t know the ambitions of either side this season, suffice to say Consett are one of the three best supported sides and as such ought to have high hopes.  They demolished Seaham.  After edging the first half, they ran away with it in the second and the score didn’t flatter them.  Mind, I had to question myself on the way home, as Radio Tees gave the score as 2-7.  I’d missed enough of the goals as it was.  Anyway, some of Consett’s one touch play was a joy to behold and totally unexpected from my ignorant knowledge of the Northern League.  Long may they ride.

Fair play to the locals too.  Although not a big crowd, every home substitution was  met with a supportive round of applause for whoever came off.  Perhaps an acknowledgement that although the ability wasn’t there, the endeavour was.

The Damage:

£6 ent
£1 Coca-Cola
= £7

The Tunes:
2nd half commentary of Middlesbrough v Barnsley (KO 6pm) – Radio Tees


I was ere.

Anderson Shelters or Seaham dugouts?

Looking along the touchline towards the clubhouse

Goal kick in front of the impeccable nets.

The view from the entrance, looking towards the clubhouse.

Seaham Red Star clubhouse.

A small cover opposite the clubhouse.

Turnstile in club colours.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...