Wednesday 28 July 2021

Seaham Red Star 7-2 Chester-le-Street Town, Tuesday 27th July 2021

Seaham Red Star 7-2 Chester-le-Street Town, Friendly, Seaham Town Park, att. c.80


Just as if a tree falls in a forest and there’s no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound…if I don’t have any physical proof of my visit to this friendly, did I attend? In my rush to leave the house, I forgot my phone, so no pics today (I’ve added one from a game last season). Still, could be worse – the other nite I forgot my phone, so I couldn’t locate Birtley’s ground, though I did come across a dog track I’d never heard of.

So, at least I knew where Seaham’s ground was and it’s one of my Northern League favourites. There’s half a terrace behind one goal with a tree laden boundary opposite. The Main Stand sits to the left of the terrace, in the terraced half, old, basic and with the requisite stanchions, while a small terrace with cover sits on the other side. Adjacent to the Main Stand lies a large pavilion containging the changing rooms. Having stood near the dugouts in the first half, a deluge near half time had me seeking the covered terrace on the other side.

Despite a high scoring game, (1st division Seaham leading Chester-le-Street 4-0 by half time, including a cracking free kick into the far top corner), my highlights were twofold; a dog had strayed into the ground and a couple of blokes, recognising it belonged to no-one, rang the number on its collar. In this (Coronavirus) age, the owner must have been a relieved man, with dognapping in predictable ascent as the demand for these 4-legged companions has gone off the scale. When the owner arrived and whistled his dog, it shot off, tail wagging like mad. (I think it was a red setter, but whatever, it was a beautiful thing).

Otherwise, it was the other red setter – the Seaham left midfielder – who amused me. Called offside from a long ball, one of his bench shouted ‘That wouldn’t have happened had you not been ginger!’ What did he mean? That he was easy to spot? Or that his gingerness was somehow related to his lack of ability in the timing of his run? One of his teammates said ‘you shouldn’t be offside from there’ (meaning he could see along the line) but perhaps if the midfielder hadn’t delayed the pass… Later, having been deprived of the ball, said midfielder was a bit miffed to be moved to left back following substitutions, and it was noticeable he didn’t look pleased as his replacement came on to score 2. Just be grateful you’re still in the team! (Easy for me to say.)

For Seaham, Northern League stalwarts since 1983, this result augurs well for the season. Red Star have never won the title, but were runners-up in 1999-2000. Maybe this will be their year, which would not be bad for a Sunday league pub side formed in 1973. For Chester-le-Street, it looks a season of struggle, and it’d be worse if they lose their centre forward, tho looked top drawer (at this level). He may have looked cumbersome, but everything stuck to him, he made runs down the channels, and scored 2. Man of the match for me, despite the hammering.

The Damage:
£4 ent
= £4

The Tunes:

Mixmag July 2005 (Gilles Peterson)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...