Wednesday 21 July 2021

Wakefield AFC 0-6 Doncaster Rovers, Tuesday 20th July 2021

Wakefield AFC 0-6 Doncaster Rovers, Friendly, Millenium Stadium, Post Office Road (Featherstone), att. 607



I was very excited in advance of this game – after seeing mainly Northern League games over the last year and a half, I was visiting an actual STADIUM, complete with stands (plural), terracing and floodlights. Plus cheerleaders. I’ve never seen cheerleaders at a FRIENDLY. Of course, I wasn’t at an actual football stadium, I was at Featherstone Rovers’ rugby league ground to see tenants Wakefield in action.

Wakefield, formed in 2019, are at the lowest rung of the non-league ladder, the Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior League and thus Donny Rovers marks a plumb friendly. Wondering how such a lowly side could pull a League 1 side, the clue might be in Wakefield’s manager – former Donny centre half Adam Lockwood. Either way, I was pleased to make up the number today, quite probably a record attendance for Wakefield.

I made it for kick-off too, which was quite the surprise after problems on the way. I was due to pick up a mate, Loko, pre-match but an accident on the A1(M) just after Wetherby brought some improvisation on my behalf, as I turned off and re-routed via Tadcaster. Indeed, I saw more racecourses than football stadiums today (Wetherby and Pontefract). I had to get to the game though, as Loko had bought tickets!

Wakefield thus far don’t have a stadium they can call their own, having previously played just outside Barnsley, but their ambitions are high, aiming to become professional. The move to ‘Fev’ represents progress, as it’s at least under a Wakefield postcode, and only 15 minutes’ drive from Wakefield city centre (on a good day).

The Millenium Stadium AKA Post Office Road is a tidy stadium which wouldn’t look out of place in the English lower divisions. The capacity is around 7,000, with modern cantilevered stands on 3 sides, one of which used to be at Scarborough’s Seamer Road ground before its demise. They’ve changed the colour of the seats though – to blue. The other end is a small open terrace, which wraps around each side and is overlooked by houses on…Post Office Road.

Tonite, over 600 turned out, and for 10 minutes the home side took it to Rovers, missing a couple of great chance. But once Donny scored, it was game over. Was it 0-2 at half-time? Whatever, the professionals ran away with it second half as attack played defence and a six goal battering was about right. The gap between the sides looked like what it was – about 8 divisions.

Loko and I stood behind the goal Wakey attacked 1st half, before a half-time ‘99’ and a seat in the stand. Sadly, we’d arrived too late for a match programme, but I’d thoroughly enjoyed my visit, played out in balmy evening sunshine. I need to visit more rugby league grounds…

The Damage:
£10 ent
£5 ice cream (x2)
= £15

The Tunes:
Con Todo el Mundo (Khruangbin)
The World of Goa Trance, Volume 2 (Various)
Próxima Estación: Esperanza (Manu Chau)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...