Sunday 28 November 2021

Brandon United P-P Blyth Town, Saturday 27th November 2021

Brandon United P-P Blyth Town, Northern League Division 2, ‘The Sawmills Kitchen The Welfare Ground’ (sic)
What are the odds? The game I was originally going to go to in the Northern League (Carlisle City v Bedlington Terriers) was the only one actually played, while all other fifteen matches were postponed. However, I’d not gone to Carlisle. With Storm Arwen wreaking havoc in the north-east, there was no way I was risking a trip over the North Pennine tops to Carlisle – I might not get back. But with games off all over the place, it looked like Brandon had survived. OK, I was using up one of my closer trips in my effort to see all 41* Northern League venues this season (38 different ones, including shared venues), but still.

*It’s taken me till now to realise there’s 41 sides; I looked at a list of 40 teams, noticed newcomers Boldon CA weren’t on there and spent an age wondering which side was on there who shouldn’t be.

So I pootled to Brandon, 18 minutes away, having religiously checked their Twitter feed to ensure the game was on. And it was – till I turned left into the lane the ground is on. 3 people were walking the other way. No-one ever walks this way. I turned into the car park and 2 more fellas were ambling toward me. ‘Match off?’ ‘Yup. But the pitch is fine.’ A snow blizzard had begun. I nipped into the ground to see one of the teams walking across the pitch with their kit bags slung over their shoulders. Oh well, I can bring forward the supermarket shop…

I was driving to Bishop Auckland, cheap petrol (no idea why petrol is cheaper in Bishop, but it is) and I found myself driving through Willington. ‘Ah! Durham City!’ Groundsharing, the hapless Durham City were at home to Chester-le-Street. I don’t remember that being called off. It was. Floodlights off, turnstiles shut, I travelled on for the hattrick. Yes, in my mini-tour of Northern League football grounds, I filled up the car at Sainsburys – next to Bishop Auckland’s Heritage Ground. Postponed (but at least I knew that already). As was nearby National League North side Spennymoor – postponed apparently cos Chorley’s coach company ‘couldn’t guarantee their safety’!

Carlisle City? 65 people braved whatever weather there was there to see a one goal away win. Next time.

The Damage:
Mild irritation.

The Tunes:
BBC5live

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...