Thursday 11 November 2021

Willington 0-1 Newcastle University, Wednesday 10th November 2021

Willington 0-1 Newcastle University, Northern League Division 2, Hall Lane, att. 131

Wednesday night in Willington and it was the first outing of the season for the thermal underwear. A bit chilly on the willie in Willie, so to speak. It didn’t work, I was cold throughout, though the early cuppa kept my hands warm, for a bit. Only later did I notice 2 massive holes in the crotch area of my jeans. Is that what it is to be middle-aged? Your jeans wear out from the nether regions. I still remember the days when the knees went on a pair of trousers. Such is life.

I really like Hall Lane, the ancestral home of Willington AFC. Once upon a time it held 5,000, and in the club house, a poster advertised the forthcoming (1973!) FA Cup game v Blackburn. There were 4,600 there that day to witness ‘Willo’ drawing nil-nil. Tonight there’s 131, and even this is an improvement on the 82 who witnessed the local derby v Esh Winning the previous Satdy. Perhaps the weather was inclement. Only one of the 6 turnstiles is open, and even then I didn’t have to wait.

Hall Lane is one of my favourite Northern League grounds, which is handy, since I’ll have to come back again this season to see Durham City, who groundshare (pending them not going bust in the meantime, a distinct possibility). This evening is a landmark visit too, as I reach the halfway stage of the Northern League for this season, my 20th ground of 40. (I thought I’d do the Maths for those who can’t.)

Hall Lane has a tidy social club as you enter the stadium and a few steps of terrace odwn the touchline, towards the halfway line and snack bar. Crinclke cut chiops appear popular. I didn’t even know they were a thing anymore. I can’t have had any in over 30 years. Are McCain still the purveyors of the finest oven chip? I really wouldn’t know. I plumped for a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea, a winning combo if you’re hungry and cold, not that they complemented each other.

I then walked back on myself and stood behind the goal, aloof from any semblance of crowd. There’s a couple of steps behind the goal and, more centrally, a small stand with a few (metal) steps. In the opposite corner was Willo’s vocal element, a rather loud bloke who wished inopportune upon various opposition players, while interspersing his sentences with words beginning with ‘f’ or ‘c’. Perhaps he was related to the Willo captain, who never stopped all night. I may have heard a sentence of his without any variation on the Anglo-Saxon ‘f***’ but I doubt it.

Opposite, centrally, is a lovely old stand, low strung roof, plenty of girders to prevent you seeing the action, as well as a floodlight or 2. So I sat here 2nd half. Can one be both ‘snug’ and ‘freezing’? To my left is another small stand behind the goal, this time with no step inside. Not sure how we’re gonna fit in 4,600 these days, but I don’t think that’s a major worry for Willington.

Tonite’s opponents are Newcastle University, much younger, and meeker in character. The Willington captain made more noise all night than the entire uni team. I’ve seen the Uni 3 wice already this season and I firmly expected a comfortable away win. Not a bit of it. With the Willo captain bellowing on, no-one on the home side dared shirk a challenge, or not track back. I’ve not seen a game this season with the amount of tackle sin this game. The ref generally let things go, but when an awful tackle from behind resulted in a free kick and mild talking to, I feared for the health of the players. ‘Someone’s going to get hurt’ I said to a bloke in the bogs at half-time. And sure enough, within 2 mins of the second half, one went down injured – ironically, he’d twisted his knee with no-one near him. The ref started getting his cards out too. Presumably somebody ‘had had a word’ at half-time. The captain got his obligatory yellow for a late bout of handbags.

Willington gave as much as they received in the attacking department, their stand out player being the left winger. I’ve no idea his surname, but I know he’s called Wayne, as he admonished himself for not doing better…’Awww, Wayne!’ Maybe this is a Willo thing. The captain had a go at the centre halves (twice)…while playing centre half. Though the one who did need shooting was the centre forward who sliced wide on the half volley when clean through. Willo’s chance to equalise was gone.

The game was decided in the 50th minute of a 1st half with barely any stoppages, as the home keeper parried a free kick straight into the path of another student. Maybe trigonometry is his speciality, as he didn’t get his angles wrong. Anyway, they held on and by the scenes at full-time, you’d think they’d won promotion already. Their quest for that goes on, but there was no doubt they’d been in a battle.

The Damage:
£5 ent
£1 prog
£2 sausage bap
£1.20 tea
= £9.20

The Tunes:
BBC 6Music (Marc Riley / Gideon Coe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...