Sunday 27 March 2022

Darlington 2-1 Boston United, Saturday 26th March 2022

Darlington 2-1 Boston United, National League North, Blackwell Meadows, att. 1,400 and odd.
Friends, or personal glory? With fixtures running out in the Northern League, if I am to see every side at home this season, I need to go to Washington today. But I’ve already been to Washington’s ground this season (the Ford Quarry Hub) to see fellow groundsharer’s Sunderland West End. Can I move the goalposts? Visit every GROUND in the Northern League instead? Cos an old mate I know from London is up in the north-east to see his hometown team – Darlington. My traditional ‘2nd team’. To hell with it – I need to be a bit more sociable and see my mate. Can I also add that the Ford Quarry Hub is the least characterful ground in the Northern League too? The kind of place any old bod can (and does) trock up for a game of 5aside on a plastic pitch?

I’d made my decision, so it came as a Brucie Bonus (how long will that cultural reference last?) when Kev messaged me to say I had a free ticket. Woo hoo! I did wonder whether to feel guilty, Darlo needing the money and all, but at 14 quid for a match ticket, they’re a good 40% more expensive than Spennymoor Town, in the same league and 15 miles away. Plus I’d given them £28 this season already (plus programmes)….which is more than the vast majority of County Durham. Conscious assuaged.

I presumed one of Kev’s mates couldn’t make it, but it turns out there was an offer on, buy one get one free (which even extended to season ticket holders). Maybe it was the same one offered via the National Lottery, offering a free ticket as part of another ‘non-league day’. Whatever, much appreciated…though hardly well advertised. 1400 attended today. Maybe it was well advertised and Darlington v Boston United just didn’t appeal. I know, I can’t understand that attitude either.

Boston brought a few too. Kev and I stood on the grass bank behind the goal and there was plenty of amber and black. I didn’t realise how far the bank was from the front. I referred to this area as the away end, but I was soon put right – most games aren’t segregated. Only the ones I’ve been to – York City and Spennymoor. There was more assuaging of my conscience, as I got the pints in pre-match. The bar queue continues to be ridiculous and the bar poorly-manned. Kev blames the landlord, the rugby club. You can’t even take your pints and drink them in view of the pitch. At least there’s a beer garden (in the shade). As for why too much of the stadium lacks any terracing or stands…apparently there’s a Northumbrian Water pipe running through the ground. That’s a new one on me.

Darlington won 2-1, and we were fortunate enough to have both Darlo goals at our end, 1st half. A low corner came in and former Boro and Bolton centre half Wheater (returning to Darlo via an England call-up and 2 years injured) reacted to turn it home. The game was effectively done and dusted by half-time as Lambert struck from 20 yards through a crowd of players for two-nil.

Half-time, and the chance to follow a Feethams tradition and swap ends. Besides, it was sunny in the Tin Shed, as the sun blazed into our eyes. Fine, all we missed was whether it was a Boston penalty or not. It looked a foul, but there was still the delay as the ref decided if it was inside the box or not; it was, and an interesting penalty, as the taker must have dummied the keeper a hattrick of times before unconvincingly putting it down the middle. There was half an hour left, but I thought Darlo saw it out comfortably. But that’s cos I’m not so emotionally involved as I once was. Everyone else looked petrified.

The Damage:
free ent
£2.50 programme
c.£8 2 pints
= £10.50

The Tunes:
Hunky Dory (David Bowie)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...