Saturday 16 April 2022

Sunderland Ryhope Community Association 2-0 West Auckland, Friday 15th April 2022

Sunderland Ryhope CA 2-0 West Auckland, Northern League Division 1, South Newsham Playing Fields, att. 132.
When did this game get re-scheduled to Easter Friday, midday kick-off? I only ask cos last time I looked…little more than a week ago (if that) it was due to be played on the Saturday. I know, cos I’d planned to hit West Allotment, Easter Friday. However, by RCA switching, it allows me to go to Washington on Saturday and West Allotment Easter Monday (11am KO) – all in the name of seeing every Northern League team at home this season. Even then, it means I’ll have to leave before the final whistle on Monday if I’m to remotely have a chance of not missing much of Barnsley v Peterborough United. It’s a long story…

So, basically, the re-scheduling has done me a favour, in that it allows me to fit in Washington. Just when I’d accepted that I’d not be able to tick Washington off (but it’s ok, Sunderland West End groundshare there, so I can still say ‘I’ve seen a game at every ground in the Northern League this season’. I know, semantics. Who says groundhoppers aren’t sad, delusional, obsessives, with little else going for them in life? (I actually don’t, but I can understand how it’s viewed by those uninterested in such endeavours.) Anyway, those people don’t get to go to places like Ryhope!

Satnav on, I made it to Ryhope, and passed rival CW’s ground on the way (CA = Community Association, CW = Colliery Welfare). You need a satnav too, as you’ll never believe you have to drive through a brand new housing estate to reach the ground. This new estate means the car park is never big enough, and if it wasn’t for a helpful steward / committee man, I’d not have been allowed to park, penning in a couple of cars…’but only as long as you’re leaving bang on full-time’.

It was a beautiful, warm (not too warm) sunny day. Why does the football season have to end just as the weather improves? I paid my dues at the gatehouse, not spotting until exit that they had programmes on sale. How did I miss that? Too busy chatting and eying up the hamburger van. (As it was, I came across a programme in the bin later. I have no shame.) A bit nibbly, I treated myself to a hotdog, whose tomato sauce and mustard exploded all over the arm of my jacket. (Note to self: must remember to get that jacket washed.)

I like CA’s ground. Thanks to recent housing development, it’s properly enclosed. At the far end lies a cemetery beyond. The Cemetery End? Woebetide anyone who overhits a shot while mourners gather. The dugouts lie on the near touchline as you enter and a fair smattering of the crowd stand on this side, presumably as entertained by what comes out of the manager’s mouths as they are by the football. Today it was good to see the home manager and linesman chat throughout; they were obviously familiar, and besides, there wasn’t much riding on today’s result.

Opposite lies a stand, built with brick and wooden slats for seats, some of them brand new. Adjacent was the social club and changing rooms. Small and dingy but perfectly formed (the social club, I never entered the dressing rooms) I was most impressed with a framed portrait of the league table of CA’s opening Northern League (2nd division) season in 1983-84. What seems like yesterday to some of us very quickly turns into history. On the other side of the Main Stand are a couple of steps of terracing replete with supported roof and red and white striped backdrop. They love red and white stripes around here, with CA, CW and Seaham all taking their lead from local 3rd tier side Sunderland AFC (who were big, once.)

I enjoyed the match. Somehow CA edged it 2-0, though visitors West had 3 cleared off the line. The full-time whistle went and I made a beeline to the car. I didn’t want to upset anybody.

The Damage:
£6 ent
£1 half time draw (prize: ‘a bottle’. A bottle of what? I’ll never know.)
£1.50 hot dog
£1 tea
= £9.50

The Tunes:
The Voltarol Years (Half Man Half Biscuit)
BBC 5Live (Jon Robbins and Ellis James)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...