Wednesday 25 May 2022

FC Halifax Town 1-2 Chesterfield, Tuesday 24th May 2022

Halifax 1-2 Chesterfield, National League Play-off, Shay Stadium, att. 5,661

The National League play-offs and a final game of the season. A last chance to stand in traffic on the M62 and miss kick-off, a chance I took with both hands. Even then, getting off at Halifax, the two lanes soon halved due to more roadworks. A sign said lane closed in 600 yards, but rather than pull in and sit angrily as queue jumpers do what they do best, I sat in the soon to be closed lane (well, 600 yards later closed) and crawled along beside another car. I don’t think I’ve ever been car-horned like this before (by the wannabe queue-jumpers) but I rather enjoyed it. Even then, when the flash car immediately behind pulled in, he tried to ensure I couldn’t eventually pull in by being so close to the car in front (the one I’d crawled beside). Shame for him then that said car let me in, in front of him. (As an aside, I’ve read that traffic flows quicker if drivers do queue jump, but this sits uneasily with me, and, I hope, every other driver who pulls in when they see signs for a closed lane, only to be overtaken by queue-jumpers, who, I presume, haven’t read the same article as me on traffic management and are just being twunts.) Anyway, glad I got that off my chest.

Halifax. I can’t believe I’ve never been, to the ground or the place. It doesn’t help that they’ve been non-league since 2002. Seems like only yesterday they were perennial re-election favourites along with Darlington and Hartlepool. However, in 2008 they went bust and reformed as FC Halifax Town. This season sees their highest position since reforming, 4th place gaining them a place in the convoluted National League play-off system, where 4th plays 7th, 5th plays 6th, then the winners play away at 2nd or 3rd, with the winners playing the final. I’m not sure I agree with a system that gives promotion to a side in 7th, but Chesterfield grasp it with both hands, deservedly winning 2-1 on the night. They’ll now play 3rd placed Solihull Moors, away, for a chance to get beaten in the final by Wrexham or Grimsby (who progressed at Notts County last night with an injury time equaliser and 119th minute winner). Capiche?

Tonight’s game certainly attracted a crowd, over five and half thousand (Halifax’s average attendance this season: 2,130). Mind, it helped having 2,063 visitors, as well as sundry groundhoppers (I spotted 3 people I know). Shay Stadium (née ‘The Shay’) is quite smart these days too, a far cry from its tenure as a ramshackle speedway stadium. Two large (by modern English standards), covered terraces envelope either end, while a newish Main Stand also provides unencumbered views. The only stanchions are contained in the Skircoat Stand, the only remnant of the speedway days and now the seated area for away fans. This stand covers maybe two-thirds of the touchline, giving an overall stadium capacity of over 14,000.

Driving in, I passed The Shay, so at least I knew how far it was to walk. I eventually found somewhere to park the other side of the railway station, about 10 minutes away, so not too bad. I missed less of the game than I expected. Checking my wallet, I only had 20 quid, so lucky I raided the soap dish full of change in the car – it was £21 to get in. No programmes though. There never are by the time I arrive. The long queue at the turnstiles which I’d passed earlier had now disappeared and I was straight into the home terrace. Plenty of space, even given Halifax’s biggest crowd in an age.

Good atmosphere too, helped in part by the referee and a crackers 5 minute period around the half hour mark. 4 awful tackles, 3 yellow cards…and a home side baying for red. Later on, in the pub, Halifax fans mused on how the guy who scored the winning goal should have been sent off. Isn’t it strange how these things come back to bite you? The ref did his best though, and it was Chesterfield fans who were goading him with ‘You’re not fit to referee’ in the 2nd half, as they desperately clung on after Halifax pulled one back for 1-2. There were still 20 minutes left, but, in truth, the home side fell short. An excellent game for the neutral, I topped it off with a half at the Three Pigeons – Salt Jute session IPA. I wish I could have stayed for more, but I had another 2 hours’ drive in front of me. I can muse over what a season it’s been; the worst Barnsley FC season in my memory, only seeing 3 away games (thank god), visiting every Northern League ground at least once and ticking off Barrow and Harrogate in the league. And my dad passing away after 2 years of illness. Perhaps next season will be back to normal…whatever ‘normal’ is

The Damage:
£21 ent
£4 burger
= £25

The Tunes:
Jarvis (Jarvis Cocker)
The Voltarol Years (Half Man Half Biscuit)
Sometimes I Might Be Introvert (Little Simz)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...