Tuesday 13 August 2019

Karlsruher SC 2-0 Hannover 96, Monday 12th August 2019


Karlsruher SC 2-0 Hannover 96, DFB Pokal 1st round, att. 11,779 (Wildparkstadion)

Welcome to ....

Karlsruher’s Wildparkstadion was/is one of my favourite stadiums, and, knowing it was to be torn down and replaced by a 35,000 looks-like-everyone-else’s ground, I endeavoured to make a final pilgrimage.  Gone would be the curves at either end.  Another great German bowl would disappear, following recently departed Saarbrucken and Erzgebirge Aue.  Also gone soon would be the imperious Haupttribune, which I’d have tried to incorporate into the new design, to add some uniqueness.

The Haupttribune

With plans announced for a new stadium in back in 2017, what I hadn’t foreseen was how keen the Germans would be to get on with the job; what I saw was a stadium in mid-transformation.  I hadn’t realised demolition began at the back end of last season.  The curves at either end had been bulldozed and replaced with temporary stands, one covered (the main home end) and one not.  Why not knock one stand down at a time and build the new one properly?  Well, a bit of digging (sorry) suggests the ends had to be removed first as the banking possibly contained remnants of WWII explosives and possible contamination.  As good a reason as any.

Where the south curve once lay.

The Gegentribune, down one side, was desert of fans.  The lower tier, at the Nachter Mann end, used to be where the ultras once crowded.  Now they’ve been replaced by diggers, awaiting orders. The idea is the stadium will continue to be in use during the renovation, with capacity not to be lower than 15,000.  (The new stadium will hold 35,000 against its former capacity of 29,000.)  Thus, getting rid of the curves also affords more room around the site for the builders.

The diggers wait in the ultras old section.

As befits the name ‘Wildparkstadion’, the stadium is built within scenic parkland, through which you can walk all the way from Karlsruhe Schloss (Castle).  Another reason why this is on my list of favourite grounds.  Karlsruhe’s streetplan all emanates from the schloss.  Also, if you visit at the start of the football season, there’s likely to be something on in town.  Last time, there was a medieval fayre in the park.  This time, after dark (perfect, given the match was an evening kick-off) there was a sound and visual show at the schloss, with animated films projected onto the schloss with accompanying classical music.  I loved it, but having been rained on earlier, I became a bit chilly in my t-shirt.  Shame, as I’ve have happily stuck around for another hour having a beer or two.  It was spectacular.

Visuals on Karlsruhe schloss.

As for the match, having walked through schlossgarten (follow anyone with a blue shirt on!), I arrived at one of the three entrances currently open.  I never even looked at seating prices.  I just asked for a standing (‘stehplatz’) ticket.  They were €16 or €17.  I didn’t know the difference, but I think I did later as it rained – the other end had a roof.  I just took pot luck, but I suspect the main home end was full.

The main home (north) end.

Looking at my ticket, I was in the same area of terrace as my last/first visit.  However, as I walked around, it became obvious the curve had…disappeared.  The earthen banking had been removed, replaced by an open area with refreshment stalls behind a temporary stand.

Despite being to one side of the terrace, my sector was very busy – though partly cos people see the terrace is busy and congregate at the terrace entrance.  Thus it was that when Karlsruher nearly scored (SHOULD have scored, hitting the sidenetting from 6 yards) half of one of my pots of beer (yes, I had two) went skyward.  Luckily, my reactions meant it covered the mate of the idiot who barged me.  Cue laughing from the idiot who knocked me.  No apology.


The south end.

This weekend was the German cup, and, on paper, this was possibly one of the least interesting ties in the DFB Pokal: a pair of Bundesliga 2 sides slugging it out.  Hannover, newly relegated from Bundesliga, are still finding their level and were easily beaten 2-0.  Writing this two days later I have no recollection of the goals.  Did Karlsruher score at the back end of the 1st half?  No idea.  I’m still thinking about the (free) entertainment put on at the schloss, the unexpected highlight of my holiday.


Actually, I've figured out how one was scored.

The Damage:
€16 ent
€4.20 beer (x3, Rothaus)
€3.50 fleischkasweck
€12 mug
= €35.70 (£39)

The Tunes:
Silver or Lead (Ursula Rucker)
The Dawn of Psychedelia (Various)
Debut (Bjork)
The Digging Remedy (Plaid)
Drone Logic (Daniel Avery)

Stayed at:
Kultur|Jugendherberge Karlsruhe (£26)

My first visit:  https://geordiealsgroundhopperscrapbook.blogspot.com/2013/07/karlsruher-sc-0-0-st-pauli-saturday.html


Wildparkstadion panorama (I)

Wildparkstadion panorama (II)

Directions in the schlossgarten.

Back of the Haupttribune.

Stairs into the Haupttribune.

A handy car parking space.

Heading around the back of the old curve.

Match action.

Duran Duran fans?

The Karlsruher claws.

Remnants of banking in the north-west corner.

See those steps?  I once stood on them.  Shaded from blistering sun.

The curve of the Haupttribune.

The Gegentribune awaits demolition.

Soon to be gone, forever.

Giant meccano.  But in a good way.

This hat has seen some games...

Karlsruher about to attack a corner.

Match action.

Cubist executive boxes.

The scoreboard says it all.

Sun setting over Wildparkstadion.

I can't resist.

Full-time.

One less game for this stand to see.

The home players take their applause.

One last look...

This stand is a monster.  Grrrr!

The metal terracing of the temporary south stand.

Demolition has begun in the Gegentribune.

I've seen more appetising snacks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...