Sunday 11 October 2020

Brandon United 1-2 Penrith, Saturday 10th October 2020

Brandon United 1-2 Penrith, Calvert Stadium, FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round, att. 50


Welcome to...(actually, as of today, The Sawmills Kitchens Ground)

I’d done my homework (thanks to the excellent Northern League website).  I was off to Bedlington Terriers.  Being a Saturday, I fancied a drive out, and Bedlington was the furthest Northern League outpost (with a game on) from my dad’s house in Ferryhill.  Plus they’ve barely any fans these days, so no prospect of being turned away at the turnstile with a Covid-19 capped capacity of 150.  Satdy morning, I’m reading my Northern Echo.  The local non-league preview must have mentioned every other game apart from Bedlington.  It wasn’t listed in the fixtures either.  I went on the website – match postponed.  Blimey, good job I checked.  40 miles is a long way to drive for a postponed 10th tier game.

A rainbow at the start of my journey today.  Couldn't resist.

I checked out the options.  Whilst up for a drive, the best options appeared to be Brandon or Esh Winning, both within about 10 miles of home.  Other games were at risk of hitting the 150 capacity.  I plumped for Brandon, 15-20 minutes away.  As ever, I used Google maps on my phone, and good job I did too, as I was directed down what looked like a farm track behind some houses.  I might have been 200 metres from the ground, but I’d still not have seen it, which is odd considering the view it commands over the County Durham countryside – the vista included Durham Cathedral in the distance.  Even Durham City AFC can’t claim that (though it doesn’t help that they’re groundsharing at Willington for the time being).


The pitch is up a small bank from the car park.

While there were some Northern League games on today, it was also the 2nd round of the FA Vase, a competition Northern League clubs have done very well in lately.  However, there was no romance here.  It was the battle of the second off bottoms, as 2nd division Brandon United hosted 1st division Penrith, who I’d seen dismantled 4-0 at Ryhope CA a fortnight ago.  Brandon meantime were still smarting from a midweek mauling at home to Heaton Stannington (0-8!).  Seems half the team couldn’t make the match.  Would I see an improvement today?

New floodlights.

Well, for 45 minutes I’d say not.  Only poor finishing and indecisive final balls prevented Penrith from running up a score, I thought.  Then Brandon broke through, 2 on 1…and they couldn’t even take advantage of that.  But from the resulting corner, all the Penrith players avoided the huge Brandon centre half, who ambled to the backpost to score with a header.  Why wouldn’t you mark by far the tallest player in the opposition on a corner?  I’d have stuck the keeper on him.

The car park and clubhouse.

I’d spent the 1st half in Brandon’s main stand.  As you enter the stadium, it towers opposite.  I marvelled at how the ground had zero seating, as it looked like a terrace from where I looked.  Once I walked around and saw it was seated, I couldn’t resist a pew on the front row.  How often do you get a front row seat in professional football?  It was quite steep too, so an excellent view.  Thus Brandon is the first Northern League stadium I’ve been to where most fans elected to sit.  Normally, the seats are so low that you’re at a disadvantage from standing.  (As an aside, there’s a row of benches behind one goal, and many a wall to sit on.)

Further Coronavirus orders.

I’d also spent the first 10 minutes wondering who was who.  (It’s not my style to ask.)  The perimeter barrier was painted in red and white, so I presumed the red team was Brandon, until I heard a supporter tell his mate Brandon were playing in their away kit because it was the FA Vase.  This was later dispelled by the gatelady/kitwoman who confirmed there weren’t quite enough spare home kits to go round as they didn’t want players swapping kit (Coronavirus, again).  Thus, Brandon politely asked Penrith if they could play in their blue away kit, while Penrith had their red home colours.  No problem.  Teams have to pull together at this level.

The Main (Only) Stand.

At half time I fancied a cuppa, but couldn’t see anywhere to get one.  I’d missed the large building in the car park, Brandon United’s social club.  So I presume I coulda got a cuppa there, even if I had to leave the actual ground.  I did that anyway, heading to my car for some sweets (Opal Fruits!) before chatting on with the gate lady, followed by a late arrival, who was none other than the chairman.  Upon hearing Brandon were winning, he toyed with the idea of leaving, not wanting to jinx it.  I put his mind at ease.  ‘Brandon have been appalling.  Most of the players can’t kick a ball 20 yards’ was my honest assessment.  And I don’t mean ‘couldn’t pass a ball 20 yards’.  No, many of them physically couldn’t kick it that far.  I did though compliment the state of the pitch, which was in excellent condition.  That was a most judicious comment - the groundsman is the gate lady’s husband!

That definitely looks like a terrace from here...

The match had kicked off, so I headed back up the steps.  Even by Brandon’s standards, it was a disappointing crowd, generously numbered as 50.  Thus, winning was even more important – the winners of the tie would be on for £725 while the losers got £225.  I began rooting for the home underdogs.  The second half was much more even but my support made no difference as Penrith grabbed the equaliser when the centre forward turned and hit one from inside the box.  Chances were then missed at both ends before a torrential shower forced me to head back to the stand  – I didn’t fancy standing out in the storm for the length of time it would take for the ensuing penalty shootout to take place.  I needn’t have worried.  Two minutes later, in the 87th minute, Brandon’s brave resistance was over, a 20 yard snap shot finding the bottom corner.  I was looking forward to penalties an’ all…. 

The Allotment End.

The Damage:
£5 ent
free programme (Well done Brandon, only the 3rd programme I’ve come across in 10 non-lge games.)
= £5

The Tunes:
The Universe Smiles Upon You (Khruangbin)
6 Music (Gilles Peterson Worldwide)


Down the touchline.

The stand, snuggled into the bank.

Roped off mud.

The teams come out.

Looking towards the Durham countryside (the cathedral in the distance).

Inside the Main Stand.

Today's teams.

Seating behind the goal.

Welfare Ground panorama.

The countryside disappears in the downpour.

Inside the Main Stand (II).


Full-time.

Welcome to...(II).

Match programme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...