Friday 23 October 2020

Esh Winning 2-4 Chester-le-Street, Thursday 22nd October 2020

Esh Winning 2-4 Chester-le-Street, The WindowsPlusRoofs Arena (AKA West Terrace), Northern League Division 2, att. 121


Welcome to ...

West Terrace is reputedly the most picturesque ground in the Northern League, so obviously I went when it was dark.  Nestled in the Deerness Valley and not even in Esh Winning (it’s a mile down the road in Waterhouses), it’s certainly surrounded by country rather than concrete.  But there’s no denying the charm of the ground itself, as a high bank at one end affords great views, while a small stand and other buildings give it a higgledy-piggledy appearance.  Yes, it’s gorgeous.


The paddock upon entrance.

I thanked the satnav (again) for finding my way there, arriving just before kick-off.  Turning down a lane to the ground, I parked up in a field adjacent to the stadium, the wheels spinning in the mud.  Still, this gave me something to think about, second half.  Should I try and be one of the first out?  Am I best off letting everyone else go, so if I got stuck I could start pulling branches off trees to wedge under the wheels?  (As it was, I was one of the first away as a gate in the fence led directly into the car park, and no, I didn’t have any problems getting away.)


The teams (apologies for the shadows!)

The entrance was on the opposite side of the ground, down the dark, dark, lane (would I, like Doctor Foster, end up in a puddle right up to my middle?)  Entrance was through an office before hitting the touchline.  Although right on the halfway line and with cover, it wasn’t the ideal place for Covid-19 social distancing.  I walked to the far end, to stand on top of the hill behind the goal.  Even more splendidly, there were three huts atop this bank, containing benches (though I was too late to partake).  Some steps cut through the banking, while water flowed down said steps.  Some natural stream?  (On the way out I had to hop over a small stream to get into the car park, while the actual River Deerness flowed behind the far goal.  Country indeed.)


The banking behind the goal.

The left hand touchline had a collection of old bus shelters (a la Ryton & Crawcrook – or is it the other way around?) so there were numerous possibilities for rain avoidance.  To my right, inbetween the entrance and social club, stood the Main Stand, a fine structure whose roof appeared to be saluting.  All hail Esh Winning FC!  It was a decent turnout too, higher than usual for Esh, boosted by numbers from Chester.


The view from the bank.

The game was competitive, but fraught at times.  Players from both sides were very vocal, complaining at every opportunity.  Unusually though, this was invariably aimed at TEAMMATES.  Esh Winning in particular couldn’t resist a dig.  It was everyone’s else’s fault but their own.  I eventually thought I was imagining it, till I overheard a woman tell her friend in the second half ‘Your old man’s having a great game’.  ‘Well, you wouldn’t think so with the criticism he’s getting’, Mrs Player replied. 


The far touchline (carpark behind)

I’d seen Esh in a friendly at the start of the season and they were full of it, taunting the opposition with ‘they don’t want the ball.’  Well, based on tonight, neither do they.  Passing was what other teams did (or was it the forwards’ fault for not being able to hold a ball up?)  As they threw away a half-time lead, I’d have been tempted to shout ‘heads up’, but their heads were never up, and once Chester-le-Street took control in the second half there was only one winner.  It finished 2-4, but the sails were taken out of Esh halfway through the half when an Esh defender was sent off for chopping a clean through Cestrian.  The punishment was compounded when the rebound from the free kick was volleyed in with aplomb for 2-3.


Spectators behind the goal.

Thereafter it became a procession, with the Esh keeper getting himself pointlessly sent off for handling outside the area in the last minute.  For a second match in a row I’d seen the keeper sent off and replaced with an outfield player.  The free kick cleared the bar.  Now, can I get my car out?

The Damage:
£5 ent
= £5

(Oh, and I would have had a cuppa but the half-time queue was too long in the social club.)

The Tunes:
6 Music (Marc Riley / Gideon Coe)



Esh defend a Le-Street attack.


Floodlight, dugout and Main Stand.


The Main Stand.


Gladiators, I salute you!


A roller has a break.


Main Stand side.


The Deerness End.


Recycling bus shelters and 5 aside pitches.


A bus shelter remains upright as the fence leans backwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...