Thursday 8 October 2020

Northallerton Town 1-3 North Shields, Wednesday 7th October 2020

Northallerton Town 1-3 North Shields, Calvert Stadium, Northern League Division 1, att. 202


Welcome to....Northallerton Town, actually.

I’d planned on travelling up from London yesterday but life happened and I postponed it till today.  With a journey of 250+ miles, Northallerton being at home was perfect, as it’s on the way anyway, being the Northern League’s most southerly outpost.  I still pushed it though, arriving at 7:25pm, having the luck to pass the stadium by following signs for Northallerton from the A1.  I’d been pounding the accelerator in order to make kick-off….not realising kick off was 7:45 anyway. 

The Main Stand.

Another worry was whether the game would be a sellout.  In these Covid-19 times, was Northallerton bound by the Northern League limit of 150?  Actually, no.  Being in North Yorkshire, they weren’t held to the same rules as those teams in County Durham and the rest of the north-east.  I guess that includes Redcar Athletic and Guisborough Town then.  So it was, I joined 201 others at the Calvert Stadium.

In front of the Main Stand.

It was 6 quid to get in, which was great as I had…6 quid.  Would I like a ticket for the half time draw?  I’m not sure I would, but with no money it wasn’t an issue.  No programmes (again) so at least I wasn’t missing out there.  Strangely, I didn’t fancy refreshments, though they had the largest selection I’ve seen yet, even fish and chips.  The social club offered table service only (Coronavirus measures) but take-outs were offered and a few beer-lined picnic tables stood adjacent to the pitch.

A function room adjoining the Main Stand.

I was very impressed with the stadium.  They had proper terraces on three sides (three steps deep), with a small main stand next to the social club.  The terrace on the Main Stand side, nominal capacity 400, had a roof, though it wasn’t needed tonite.  The far side, where the dugouts were situated, had no terrace, but fans were still able to stand over here still.  Indeed, fans dotted themselves around the ground, the largest contingent being outside the social club, no doubt wanting the ability to dive back inside and grab one of those tables at half-time.

Behind the goal at the Manure End.

I have to be honest, I’d no idea what division this game was, or what positions they were in the league.  Judging by the Northallerton left back, I’d say some was towards the bottom of division two.  An inability to run, or pass a ball forward, together with a penchant for moaning (usually at the officials)…a man after my own heart.  I can do all of those things!  (For the record, the officials were spot on, he just liked a moan).  I s’pose it didn’t help that the Northallerton were being outplayed by North Shields, who just so happened to be league leaders….of division one.

Breeze-block walling behind the goal.

Despite an early shot for the home side, Shields controlled it throughout and once they went ahead early in the second half, the result was never in doubt, though it took a couple of goals in the last 10 minutes to make it 0-3, before a 25 yarder rebounded off the post for a tap-in for Town with the last kick of the match.  I enjoyed Shields’ 3rd though…a lovely clip over the keeper after a short back pass (not by the left back).  I felt for the keeper though, who never stopped shouting and organising his defence.  He’s a real asset to their side.

Fans congregate in front of the social club. 

I sampled the game from all sides of the ground, but one end had the particular smell of manure. Well, I s’pose the stadium is next to farmland.  Kudos for the floodlights though, despite there being less of them (4) than every other northern league ground I’ve been to thus far (6, as in 6 floodlights), they were much brighter.  Note to Northallerton though: you really must pump up your balls properly.  I’ve never seen the ball subbed, twice.   

Right, I’d better get home.  I’ve had a long drive…

The Dugout side.

The Damage:
£6 ent
= £6

The Tunes:
Reading, Writing and Arithmetic (The Sundays)
30 Something (Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine)

Parallel Lines (Blondie)


A wall between the dugouts to prevent fans from...?

The Car Park End, half-time.

The takeaway hatch.

Picnic benches and beers.

The covered terrace.

Interestingly angled crowd barriers.

A fullback awaits the ball at the Manure End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...