Wednesday 15 March 2023

South Shields 1-2 FC United of Manchester, Tuesday 14th March 2023

South Shields 1-2 FC United of Manchester, Northern Premier League, 1st Cloud Arena (Mariners Park), att. 2,519 (c.80 away)
We’re heading into the home straight and tonite is probably my last chance this season of visiting Northern Premier League champions-elect South Shields. It’s their last scheduled midweek fixture and I’m booked up for the rest of the season for the weekends. But I’m not here to tick a ground off – I love a visit to Mariners Park, one of the best football experiences in the north-east.

There’s the ground, which under normal circumstances you have free rein to circumnavigate inside. A new stand towers over the ground the length of the southern touchline. It may only possess 5 rows of seating, but there’s exec boxes at the back and a large drop to the standing below, so views are exceptional. Mind, it costs an extra 2 quid these days to sit up there and I notice it’s not as busy as when it first opened and there was a flat-rate for entry.

Behind the eastern end a factory looms over a 2 step terrace with roof. To say it’s cosy here is an understatement, and with sub-zero temperatures, I snuggle in here second half. I am surprised there’s as much room as there is, especially now I’ve seen the official attendance. I’d say there were closer to 1,500 there….maybe many ticketholders gave it a miss (having already bought their tickets for the original fixture). There were certainly gaps to be had by the perimeter, something I’ve not seen at Shields before. Plus, a bloke was offering 2 tickets going spare pre-match, free to anyone who wants them.

The opposite end is maybe half a dozen steps, but it’s set back a couple of yards from the perimeter, which annoys me. The home ultras and their drum stand here, behind the goal. And while the drum bangs, the 100 or so youngsters (I don’t see anybody over 18) do get behind their team. This evening, the main bulk of the FC United contingent stand 15 yards to their right, and they too make some noise. When passing them, I made out some anti-Liverpool song, as befits their earlier incarnation as Manchester United fans. Perhaps they still are?

Then there’s the 4th side, where it all happens. There’s a small stand on the halfway line, with a paddock and press box. A large marquee sits to one side, eager to serve those thirsty fans. The other side of the stand has the retractable tunnel and then 3 steps with cover, a structure which wouldn’t look out of place in my back garden. Again, set back from the perimeter fence, views are poor from here. Adjacent is the social club, which, due to the marquee, due to the can bar on this side, due to the large bar under the new stand….isn’t as busy as you’d expect. Yet it’s fabulous. I’m a sucker for a carpet and Sky Sports on the big screens. Plus you get the largest range of beer here (in my case, Beavertown Neck Oil). Why settle for Birra Moretti elsewhere when you can have Neck Oil here? Service is fast and I even get a seat. On telly it’s Boro v Stoke in the Championship, none of that there Champions League nonsense (we could have been viewing Man City 7 (seven) RB Leipzig 0 (nil)). Oh, and parking is easy in the industrial estate next door, and the newly re-opened Metro station (Bede) is a couple of hundred metres walk away. Trains intermittently fly past, providing an additional view for 3 sides of the ground.

I venture out of the warm in time to see the players come out. My first half perch would be by the perimeter fence. Behind me, high above, are the ‘Balcony Squad’ (I know they are the ‘Balcony Squad’ because they have a flag wot tells me). I envy their view, on a balcony above the social club. Maybe one day I’ll pick up the courage to sneak up the stairs inside the social club to join them. It must be some view.

Unfortunately, following the coin toss, the teams swap ends, meaning South Shields are kicking to the far end. Expecting a home victory, I consider moving, but retain my place long enough to see the Mariners go ahead, a header following a short corner. There are but 5 minutes on the clock. However, it’s a pretty even opening half, and United get their reward just after half-time. Shields lose the ball on the edge of the box and the keeper appears to misjudge the shot, as it sails into the far corner. It’s game on, with both sides demonstrating pace, physicality and skill. Understandable perhaps with both sides full of ex English and Scottish league players.

I’m behind the United goal as their keeper pulls off a couple of ‘worldies’. Indeed, a home fan threatens to p*** in his water bottle (as a Guiseley fan did the other week, same division). He’s joking, and the keeper takes it in good spirit, placating fans with ‘you’re going up anyway’. But these saves are key. The hosts never reach the fluidity of the first half and rarely look like scoring and it’s no surprise when United pinch it with a near post header from a corner. Radcliffe Borough have also won tonite to go second. The gap is down to a mere 10 points, with 7 games to play. But as the United keeper said ….

The Damage:
£12 ent
£3 programme
£4.20 Beavertown Neck Oil
= £19.20

The Tunes:
BBC5Live

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...