Thursday 16 March 2023

Sunderland 1-2 Sheffield United, Wednesday 15th March 2023

Sunderland 1-2 Sheffield United, Championship, Stadium of Light, att. 37,490
Do you remember the days when football was cheap enough that you could attend high level fixtures on a whim? Well, you’d have to be my age, at least. Not that tonite was one of them either, as I paid 29 quid to see what 2nd in the Championship (Sheffield United) looks like. My partner is away with work and I’ve licence to roam….so it’d be a shame to stay in when there’s match down the road. But if I baulk at the admission charge, how many others are put off, or priced out? Obviously not enough, if a crowd of over 37,000 is anything to go by.

And this was a ‘cheap’ ticket. I found myself behind the goal, 3 rows back. Worryingly, my ticket said ‘singing section’. Not much chance of that, though I did enjoy a round of ‘Tony Mowbray’s red and white army (we hate Boro)’ from the stand. The manager is a former legend at local rivals Middlesbrough….though any Mackem will tell you they’re not remotely bothered about Boro. If Sunderland fans aren’t bothered by Boro, why do they keep telling me?

The Blunts (Blades) look a step up in class in the opening 20 minutes. Sunderland can’t get the ball and all the action’s at the far end. Not great when you’re so low down. Why do people LIKE sitting so close to the pitch? I have no idea whether United are 10 yards or 30 yards from goal. Still, I get a great view of Sunderland hitting them on the break and Michut (on loan from PSG) firing across the keeper into the corner. 1-0, completely against the run of play. It stays like this till 1st half injury time. And just as the extra minutes are announced and the Mackems dream of creeping in at half-time with a lead, Sheffield hit back. Looked a smart finish…but I’m miles away.

At the interval I have the obligatory comfort break and marvel at the sweet smell of the toilets. It’s vape heaven for the teenagers, who’ve probably never even heard of smoking. I decant to the stand and wonder whether I can find a seat higher up. Then I notice some fans walking past a steward into the (Main) West Stand. There’s plenty of empty seats in there (and not just in a virtually empty upper tier). I nonchalantly walk past and find a suitable perch with a perspective of the game, not just the pitch. These seats would normally cost THIRTY FIVE QUID. Yes, you read that right. Still, it’s a nice view.

The second half is much more even, but United pinch it with a free kick that everyone misses and it sneaks in at the far post. Berge is offside, and clearly distracting the keeper, but there’s no VAR at this level (though a match in the Czech Republic last week in front of about 600 had it) and the locals are disgruntled. There’s half an hour left, but the home side barely threaten aside from a Roberts 20 yarder which cannons back off the post. This leaves Sunderland 8 points off the play-offs with 9 to play, surely all over. The Blades meantime, taking advantage of Boro (who no Sunderland fan cares about) drawing last night to go 6 points clear in the race for 2nd.

The Damage:
£29 ent
= £29

*pre-match I spent in the Dun Cow in the city centre, a charming Victorian boozer with a cracking selection of beers (and prices to match). Tiny Rebel Peaches and Cream IPA anyone? Followed by a Schneiderweiss, one of my favouritest German wheat beers.

The Tunes:
BBC5Live

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...