Thursday 3 August 2023

Chester-le-Street United 0-3 Easington Colliery, Wednesday 2nd August 2023

Chester-le-Street United 0-3 Easington Colliery, Northern League Division 2, Riverside Leisure Stadium, att. 116
It is the height of the British summer and after a July of rain…the beginning of August spells similar. It has rained all day here in my part of County Durham and 3 games in the Northern League have already succumbed. ‘Are you still going if it’s raining?’ I’m asked. ‘All the more reason!’ I bravely reply, though actually, there’s a lot to be said for standing on your own, outside, staring at the 10th tier of English football.

I’m keen tonite cos it’s a new ground. Indeed, history is due to be broken, as Chester-le-Street United, formed a mere 3 years ago, are due to play their first ever home game under floodlights at the home adjacent to Durham County’s cricket ground. It’s been a rapid rise, one season in the Wearside League and immediate promotion. Too rapid for their home, as due to not having floodlights, they played last season at the Ford Hub, home of Sunderland West End and my least favourite ground in the Northern League. I don’t know what any of this means to Northern League stalwarts Chester-le-Street Town, whose home is a mile or so out of town at Chester Moor. Have they been usurped? Will they survive? Is the town big enough for 2 clubs?

The Riverside Leisure Stadium is unlike any other in the Northern League. For a start, it has a running track around it. The Main ‘Stand’ as such is a pavilion, with some terracing underneath. However, the terracing is behind the running track and thus anyone wanting to stand crosses the track and leans against the barrier, which only goes around this side and the left hand goal. Consequently, fans aren’t allowed on 2 sides. The other side of the (left) far goal is one of the tinest stands I’ve ever seen. From this distance, I’d say it has 38 seats. It is virtually full, second half, as the the youth distance themselves from their elders. However, the pavilion dominates.

It is a grand structure, offering (upstairs) a large bar, as well as excellent views from the balcony (like at Darlington). However, a floodlight does impede the view slightly. I watch for half an hour from up here, go down to pitchside for 10 minutes…then scamper back when a deluge hits. I wasn’t the only one. I retreated back to where I’d been, standing next to what was obviously another groundhopper. This time though his mate was with him, and I enjoyed eavesdropping on their north-eastern non-league travels (north of the Tyne a speciality). Shildon was their Northern League ground of choice for atmosphere. I’d have gone Crook Town myself, or Seaham, or perhaps tonite’s visitors Easington Colliery.

I couldn’t decide if Easington were dapper dogs…or complete clarts this evening. What a strip. Pink and white stripes, with violet arms. Given the home side were playing in some shade of gold, I couldn’t work out how this clashed with Easington’s first choice strip of green and white stripes. Do they have one of those Premiership contracts insisting away shirts must be worn? At least they had enough players...the programme could only mention 10. Still, squads at this level are fluid to say the least.

The programme also stated Chester’s side could have a very different look to Saturday gone, most of their players having returned from a youth tournament* in Morocco. I bet it didn’t rain there. Given they arrived back 24 hours before tonite’s match, it would explain how they tired in the second half after a promising start in which they could have been 3 up, but definitely one, as the centre forward, clean through, crashed a shot against the keeper’s legs.

*Many of their players are part of the Park View Academy of Sport, basically studying ‘A’ levels or equivalent, while being coached in sports such as football, cricket, rugby, netball, athletics...I’d apply but I think my time playing football is up.

Second half, we are 25 minutes in and one of my groundhopper friends is speculating on the likelihood of a goalless draw and whether they’d thus have to come back. ‘No, I’m not that desperate’ says his mate. A minute later and Easington’s Callum Stanton curls one in with his left foot from 20 yards. Chester look spent and within 10 minutes it’s 3. A cross is deflected in (the goal being generously awarded to the crosser, Brad Forster) before Stanton absolutely belts in a 25 yarder for his second. Game over, United are shattered and Easington waste several breals to increase the scoreline. Then more groundhopper chat on the way out; a couple of old boys from Coventry have come up, a double-header including Newcastle Blue Star last nite. I’m not sure I’m at the level of driving to Coventry for a couple of games at the 10th tier of English football (yet).

The Damage:
£5 ent
free programme
= £5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...