Wednesday 20 December 2023

Sheffield FC 4-0 Ashington, Tuesday 19th December 2023

Sheffield 4-0 Ashington, Northern Premier League East, Home of Football Stadium (Coach and Horses Ground), att. 313
I was listening to Radio Sheffield’s ‘Praise or Grumble’ the other week. There was no league football, so instead of listening to Sheffield Wednesday fans moaning on, they had a non-league special. On it, the chairman of Sheffield…FC or Rugby League Club, I forget which...described plans for a new ground to be shared by the pair in the Sheffield suburb of Meadowhead. I thought ‘I’d better get my skates on then’ and go and see the oldest football club in the world play at their current stadium...in Dronfield, North Derbyshire.

Formed in 1855, Sheffield have led a nomadic existence before their owner bought the Coach and Horses Ground in Dronfield in 2001. Finally, a stadium of their own (albeit outside the city boundaries) after previously sharing athletics stadium Don Valley and the greyhound racing of Owlerton. Sheffield is a big place and they appear to have played in most of it.

I presumed they shared the present ground with Dronfield, so good job I had a conversation with my mate Molly. Dronfield Town play at another stadium in Dronfield, which I thought was great news: another ground to visit! As it was, Molly couldn’t make tonite, but I picked up Nozzer on the way. I even got my dinner – reward from the (common law) wife for dragging him out the house? Fish chowder, since you ask.

It was a dismal night, weatherwise, and I was relieved to find space in the car park. Bit surprised it wasn’t free, but there you go, it’s all in a good cause. Nozzer treated me at the turnstile and I looked in vain for a programme (though saw a beautiful retro teamsheet). The turnstiles brought us in at the southern end, where a 250 seater modern cantilever stand dominated. Adjacent, a two storey building held the changing rooms, club shop/museum and, above, executive facilities with a balcony (the best view in the house). We chose a spot near the halfway line on the sizeable covered terrace.

A large portion of the 2,000 capacity must be this terrace, as the opposite side looked like a grass bank covered in canvas proclaiming Sheffield FC’s history. It didn’t look like people were allowed to stand here, either, though as the game went on a few people stood by the pitch on this side. No cover though, so they must have got wet. Beside the terrace is the back of the Coach and Horses pub which gave the ground its original name. It’s the Home of Football Stadium now. Of course it is. It brings back a random memory. I used to live near Highbury (the Arsenal stadium). I’m sure that above the gate on Gillespie Road it used to proclaim ‘Highbury – the home of football.’ I wonder what it says now? ‘Highbury: home of the rich in a lovely gated community’?

As well as an unlikely 4-0 thumping of higher-placed Ashington, I also enjoyed the wit and enthusiasm of the tannoy announcer, welcoming their Northumbrian opponents for tonite’s ‘derby’. I suspect a 5 hour return journey on a wet midweek nite after a day’s work was not ideal prep for The Colliers. There was also a lively, constant racket served up by 25 or so ultras in the stand. Great passion and excellent numbers for an 8th tier side, no matter who they are. As full-time loomed, we headed towards the exit and just managed to avoid being stuck the wrong side of the extendable tunnel. I may have enjoyed it, but I didn’t want to spend any longer on the cold. I wish them well in their endeavour of a return to Sheffield, but hopefully this tidy little stadium won’t go to waste.

The Damage:
£10 ent
£3 car park
= £10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...