Saturday 6 January 2024

Horden CW 0-0 Thornaby, Friday 5th January 2024

Horden CW 0-0 Thornaby, Northern League Division 2, Welfare Park, att. 196
I’m up in the north-east on business (my business) and have big plans…Queens Park are back playing at Hampden Park (THE Hampden Park) and after finishing my business, I could drive up to Glasgow, watch the game, stay the night, then catch another game on the way back home to West Yorkshire on the Satdy...Ayr United? However, my business takes longer than business should but I’ve prepared well by not booking owt. It’s a healthy Plan B too, Northern League newcomers FC Hartlepool are at home and it’s one of two grounds I’ve never visited. So that’s off – waterlogged.

I’m now in two minds, as I’ve half an hour to scoff some scran and decide whether I really want to go out. I’m tired, it’s cold. I look at the other fixtures and decided I’d kick myself if I didn’t go out. I plump for Horden. I really like their ground. Bordered on one side by old miners’ terraces (the ‘numbered streets…Eighth Street, Seventh Street, etc), the adjacent rest of the park features cricket pitch, ornamental grounds and a stunning sculpture of a miner, his heart ripped, as befits many a north-east community bereft since the demise of the coal industry (and Billy Elliott was filmed just down the road in Easington).

Since I was here last
https://geordiealsgroundhopperscrapbook.blogspot.com/2022/01/horden-cw-2-2-billingham-synthonia.html
there’s been further demise...but also rejuvenation. Their magnificent stand (these things are relative; what I mean is it was old, tall, dark and unlike anything built today) has been taken down. The metal was corroding. Talking to the chairman, it could’ve hung on for another couple of years, but the opportunity to fund most of the work with grants enabled Horden to take down the seats and roof, leave the changing rooms below as they were, and put a brand new roof on. Seating is now supplied by one of those stands you get off the back of a lorry (literally); 100 seats, but placed so far from the pitch that the view is quite useless with folk standing in front, by the perimeter of the pitch.

However, the old terracing remains, four or so steep steps behind the goal which bend around a quarter of the pitch on either side. I move here just before half-time and before long find conversation with two former Northern League stalwarts, and hence my introduction to the chairman when he comes round. Oh, and that work...stand taken down, new roof, new stand...£160,000. With crowds generally barely above 3 figures, they’d never have been able to afford the work without help.

Sadly, there’s no social club. With the demise of the old Horden CW, (the current side forming in 2017), the social club was turned into a recording studio. Now the football has returned, the committee cast envious glances as a they await the tenancy to end before (hopefully) re-opening it and being able to make some funds.

This weekend, more than half the Northern League games are being played on Friday nite, for one reason – tomorrow is the derby, Sunderland v Newcastle in the FA Cup. Upon arrival at the turnstile, I got chatting and said coming to Horden was the highlight of my Friday evening. He said he’d come to try and take his mind off the game tomorrow. (I suspect they’re all Mackems round here.) I take a pew on my lonesome, to the right of the goal. Within three minutes I have touched the matchball (which I’ve never done at a professional game). Well, someone has to collect the ball from the down the bank behind the goal. And 10 mins in the home physio is bantering with me ‘a pen all day, that’, after tending to his centre forward, who’s fallen awkwardly as him and the defender crash together, shoulder to shoulder. ‘I’m sorry, I think the ref got it spot on.’

This was during an early emphatic phase of play from the home side, 5th in the table and looking to make a more formal entrance into the promotion race. It doesn’t last. Midtable Thornaby weather the storm, and, aside from a goalline clearance, aren’t really troubled. I don’t remember either goalkeeper making a save that wasn’t a soft 20 yarder straight at them. The chairman thanks me for coming and hopes I’ll return. I’d love to. Social club or not, old stand or not, Welfare Park remains one of my favourite Northern League grounds!

The Damage:
£5 ent
= £5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...