Sunday 21 January 2024

Stevenage P-P BFC, Saturday 20th January 2024

‘Another week unbeaten.’
I’ve been looking forward to this for ages. It’s Barnsley’s first ever visit to Stevenage and the only League 1 ground I’ve not seen the Super Reds play at. Thus, I’m treating myself, getting the train. Get there nice and early, meet up with the Londontykes and find the best drinking hole before staggering on to watch the football through a haze. Sounds like a plan.

Setting off on a 7:30 train and travelling via Leeds, I arrive at Stevenage at 11:02. It’s a mild, sunny day but there’s a pitch inspection at 11am. As the weather has been ok for a few days, surely this is a formality. However, the decision has been bottled and there’ll be another inspection at 1. Time to be concerned. We head up to the old town, 20 or so minutes’ walk in the wrong direction from the ground and have a quick snifter in the Wetherspoons before heading to the Six Hills Brewery tap room, ‘The Broken Seal’, which doesn’t open till midday.

The others drift in over the next hour, including an old uni mate who I’ve dragged over from St. Albans. He’s coming to the game too, the fool. A plethora of quaffable ales are imbibed. It is, without doubt, my favourite away drinking hole of the season (and the company’s great too). And it’s a good job, as word comes through of the inevitable. The match has been postponed, less than 2 hours before kick-off, with the majority of Reds fans already in or around Stevenage. It’s like Exeter, last season, or Charlton a few years back. There is absolutely zero consideration for away fans travelling long distances. Why decisions like this can’t be taken the day before, only the EFL know.

In the end, I nearly miss my train back. I’ve cleverly elected not to let food get in the way of drinking and it’s touch and go whether I’ll make it. That would’ve just topped it off. Still, I’m an eternal optimist, and today’s cancellation brings several improvements in our players; Phillips didn’t sky any over, Shepherd didn’t gift the opposition a dozen chances in the 1st 10 minutes, Cole didn’t hide behind any defenders, Jordan didn’t look confused and Kane looked faster than usual. However, Watters was still dogsh*t. Plus ca change.

Drink du jour: Anything and everything. I know it started with a Leffe...

Away: c1,000+. I hope they enjoyed their day as much as I did.

The Damage:
£47 travel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...