Sunday 7 January 2024

Scarborough Athletic 3-0 Hereford United, Saturday 6th January 2024

Scarborough Athletic 3-0 Hereford United, National League North, Flamingo Land Stadium, att. 1,575
It’s Satdy and I’m due to travel back home to the Pennines from County Durham…what game to choose on the way? I ask Moll if he wants to come out and play. I know he mentioned Scarborough the other week. Or would he fancy Knaresbrough? Or Harrogate Railway, or Tadcaster? Maybe Pickering? Yes, he wants to come out and Scarborough it is. He admits to having them as a sort of 2nd team since they reformed. I’ve a soft spot for them too, since the Wolves fan fell through the roof at the original Scarborough’s first ever league game. Ahhh, great days.

Since then, they’ve been relegated out of the league, lost their stadium (the McCain Stadium AKA ‘Theatre of Chips’), been re-formed as a fan-owned club in 2007 and for their first 10 years been forced to play down the coast at Bridlington. Moll’s seen em there, but the only outfit I’ve seen in Brid is Pulp. I did once see a friendly at Scarboro though, once. I’d convinced my parents we should take my grandparents to the seaside for the day...so my dad and I could sneak off to the football and get attacked by wasps. (I don’t remember anything else, save the one-all draw.)

However, things are very much looking up for Scarborough, if the number of woolly ‘Seadogs’ bobblehats are anything to go by. They’re everywhere. The club, forced to re-start at the 10th tier Northern Counties East League, would stand 3rd in the National League North, 4 divisions higher, with victory today. The buzz is tangible.

The stadium is busy, 1,500 or so packing into 3 sides. The 4th, a small stand backing onto the leisure centre is sparingly used by the 80 or so Hereford fans who’ve made the long journey. (Why do we always presume fans have travelled from the town of the side they support? I’ve never lived in Barnsley.) Anyway, a meagre following considering their 2,000+ home crowds, and making a mockery of the decision to segregate the ground today.

To their right is a small, steep stand which houses the club’s facilities. Pre-match, I got there early, worried it might sell out. My intention was to buy 2 tickets, and go to the pub to watch the big derby, Sunderland v Newcastle in the FA Cup. My journey to the ground taught me the pubs were actually a hell of long walk, whatever a crow may fly. Hills an’ all. So when the man in suit and tie offered me Mackems v Mags in their fanzone, I couldn’t resist (though I’d have to speak to the stewards, to let Molly in.) Sunderland disappointed, that’s all I’ll say.

Moll arrived and we took a gander inside the stadium, grabbing a programme from the hut in the corner. Behind the goal was a small covered terrace...4 steps?...so with pie and peas gathered, I forced Moll into the stand by the side of the pitch. Bit more height, this stand has terracing either side of some seats. A courteous gentlemen shifted aside to let Moll stand next to his best mate (well, me.)

On paper, this was a tough game. Hereford came unbeaten in 6, 5 wins. They were destroyed. Harry Green opened the scoring with a beautiful lob 25 mins in and Hereford’s problems were compounded with a sending off 5 mins before half time. A Scarboro player rolled around clutching his face, the ref saw nought, had a word with the linesman...who’d seen nowt…so, based on the law of probabilities, decided the Hereford player probably had done something naughty (naughty, very naughty). There was little protest.

Second half, Scarborough actually looked less fluent against 10 men and 1 or 2 counter attacks looked dangerous. Then that man Harry Green popped up again, curling a free kick into the far top corner from the apex of the penalty area. With time running out, and the ref having had a wager on Green getting a hattrick, a tumble in the box brought a penalty and Green had his threesome, leaving the fans dreaming of ‘a team of Harry Greens’. Is he any good in goal, I wonder? He looks an excellent prospect, but Boro’s chances this season rely on him. He’ll be gone by February.

The Damage:
£15 ent
£3 prog
£5.50 Birra Moretti
£4.50 Steak pie and peas
= £28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...