Wednesday 17 April 2024

Tow Law Town 1-2 Boro Rangers, Tuesday 16th April 2024

Tow Law 1-2 Boro Rangers, Northern League Division 1, Ironworks Road, att. 50
I put my big coat away this week. What a mistake that was. Tonite I am absolutely bloody freezing at Ironworks Road, my favourite of favourite Northern League grounds. I don’t know what the temperature is, but with wind chill, it is bitter. A wind turbine above me on the terrace concurs, its blades spinning at some impenetrable speed, while it sounds like there’s a ‘copter overhead. There’s also a lady watching the game from her car behind me. She’s not daft. I count 32 others in the ground at kick-off.

Mind, there’s other entertainment to be had tonite. I am missing Dortmund 4-2 Athletico (5-4 on aggregate) and Barca 1-4 PSG (4-6 on aggregate) to see a side who’ve lost 31 games in 35 in the Northern League (32 from 36 after this evening). I could even stay in the social club at the ground and watch Southampton play Preston as they strive for promotion to the Prem. But where’s the fun in that?

Ironworks Road is a thing of beauty. 5 steps of terracing reach past the halfway line above a small bank. On the far side is the Main Stand, so beautifully decorated, and behind that, the North Pennines. It is worth the dastardly wind, though the bakers dozen of us positioned on this side 1st half dwindle to half a dozen by the second, as the others find other crevices to crawl into, away from the bluster. A few have gone to the far end, using the backwall and roof as protection. At the end where you gain entry, the picnic tables are unused, though a couple of old timers prop up the perimeter. No-one is on the small terrace behind the goal.

Tow Law, despite the defeats, are2nd off bottom. Their 3 wins ensure a 6 point gap to bottom side Sunderland RCA (1 win in 34) and a bloke I chat to thinks it’s only one to go down this season, as there’s no-one from the north-east getting relegated from the Northern Premier (East). Sounds feasible enough, though you never know with the vagaries of the FA’s geographical unit (do they have one)? A 3-way conversation breaks out once again about howthehell Bishop Stortford, Gloucester and Banbury are in National League North (Needham Market allegedly joining from next season).

Thus, the Lawyers are odds on to be spanked tonite. They’ve already conceded 154 goals. Even RCA’s 9-0 defeat tonite will only take them to 150. Goals are promised. And 13 mins in, Tow Law are already one down and Boro have hit the woodwork 3 times (although one of these was a defender’s slice). The goal they concede is criminal, as a 40 yard throw-in leaves not one, but two Boro in the clear. Forward A runs in and squares it to Forward B for a tap-in. Routine. The avalanche is on.

However, through a mixture of good fortune, poor finishing and a never-say-die spirit, Tow Law cling on and even manage the odd venture upfield. Boro are beaten down their left and the cross is headed home confidently. The hosts nearly go 2-1 up, as a header from a corner is narrowly ruled offside (though I’m not convinced myself). Boro, who’re used to playing on plastic, are struggling to get to grips with a bobbly pitch...though I guess they have wind in Middlesbrough?

I go for a warm in the social club at half-time. Good job it’s Soton-Preston on the telly, cos if they were showing the Champs Lge, I might’ve stayed in. The game is well underway when I creep back out. It takes me 30 seconds to get cold again. This’ll be a long half. Luckily, I’m out in time to see a goal, as more comic defending from Tow Law sees Boro rifle it in from close range. How many chances to clear? 3, 4? All that hard work gone to waste.

However, the team keeps trying. The left winger in particular has the beating of his man, so needless to say the manager takes him off. The player is suitably unimpressed as he passes me. ‘Why’s he taken you off? You’ve been the best player?’ ‘No idea’ came the grumpy reply. There’s still time for the Lawyers committee man to trade a few f-bombs with a Rangers player over allegations of play-acting. ‘I don’t mind you calling me a c***, it’s the bald bit I didn’t like.’ Tempers diffused, we’re back to the blood and thunder. A pretty good show, considering the conditions.

The Damage:
£7 ent
£1 half time draw
= £8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...